New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G6 with optional LFF Cage two-bay

PascalR

ML350 G6 with optional LFF Cage two-bay

Hello,

I have a cabling problem in following configuration :
- ML 350 G6 with LFF cage 6 bay
- OnBoard P410i with 512 FBWC

I want to install the LFF cage, ordered from HP (part 487936-B21)

I received the cage, the power cable (OK)
1 standard SAS cable and 1 11pin cable (wrong?)

In the installation doc and picture, you can see and "Y" SAS cable and a 3pin led cable.

Do I received wrong cables, or is there another way to connect the two cages ?

Thanks for advice
3 REPLIES 3
TTr
Honored Contributor

I don't have this server but based on what I know and based on the SAS port technology I think you got the wrong cable and you need the Y cable. The P410i has 8 SAS ports on two x4 connectors. Each port from the controller will connect to one disk drive. Without the second LFF cage you have two SAS data cables going from the P410i to the primary 6-disk LFF cage. One x4 cable from the P410i connects to the first four disks of the cage and the second x4 cable connects to the remaining two disks. With this second cable only two of the four ports are used with the two disks in the 6 disk cage and the remaining two ports are not connected. When you add the optional 2LFF cage, you need to remove the second SAS cable (as shown on page 60 of the user guide) and use the Y-cable. With the Y-cable, the four ports from the second x4 connector of the P410i split up in to two port cables. Two ports on the first branch of the Y-cable connect to disks 5 and 6 of the 6-LFF cage and the other two ports of the second branch of the Y-cable connect to disks 7 and 8 of the 2-LFF cage.
PascalR

Thanks TTr

It was also my opinion, and you confirmed it.

After spending a lot of hours with HP support, I am now fighting with them to get the missing cables.
GregChernis
Occasional Advisor

For future reference, I think the spares kit number is 519565-001