4136 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

ML350 G6 with p410i controller using RAID 5 question

Bedfont
Occasional Advisor

ML350 G6 with p410i controller using RAID 5 question

Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade the physical drive space on my servers.

My current configuration is a proliant ML350 G6 with 3 x SAS 6G DP HDDs on a Smart Array P410i controller with 256mb cache memory (144mb available according to ACU).

The server is up and running and has been for a few years so I definitely don't want to risk loosing any data.

I would like to expand the capacity (and speed) of the server, my options (I guess being) either 3 x 600/900GB SAS 6G DP HDDs  to replace my current HDDs or an additional 1-5 x 300GB SAS 6G DP HDDs in addition?

I imagine more HDDs are a better option than fewer but larger HDDs for a number of reasons?

Do I need to buy the 512MB BBWC or better or is 144MB free cache enough for 1 or 2 additional drives?

Thank you very much in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

Re: ML350 G6 with p410i controller using RAID 5 question

If you do not want to risk loosing data or backing up and reinstalling , just expand the array or create a new array with additional hard drives that you want to use
here is the QS link for hard drives in the server
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13241_div/13241_div.html

And yes 256mb will suffice the configuration that you would want to go for
Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

You can replace each disk one at a time with a larger one, let it rebuild before you replace the next one!

Once all have been replaced, extend the logical drive into the new space using ACU.

Then in Windows, as long as you have dynamic disks, you can extend a disk (Note, you cannot extend C: without using third party apps, even then its a bit risky!)

If you dont have Dynamic disks, then just create a new logical drive in ACU inside the new space rather than extending the existing one.
Then configure in Windows as another drive letter.

Thanks,

Mark...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)
Bedfont
Occasional Advisor

Thank you very much for your replies,

Sorry it's a bit late but I've been away on business quite a bit lately.

So I have a choice of both options. I was going to add additional hard drives of similar capacity as it makes logical sense to me that this would be faster, more economical and more reliable than replacing the drives with those of higher volumes.

I'll have a tinker and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again!

Bedfont
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

I ordered a new 300GB HDD which arrived today (just to see what happens) and it registers but I cannot extend the current array onto it.

I was reading a how to guide (http://www.tricksguide.com/how-to-expand-array-extend-logical-drive-raid-hp-acu.html) and it appears I need the battery to enable the 'extend array' feature.

So I have ordered one (650 mAh P-series), will update in a couple of weeks when I am back in the office.

Thank you.

Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Hmm, you're correct.
I forgot that HP started restricting certian array operations recently.
What with the requirement for that and / or the array advanced pack license, it seems that we're forever having to spend more money for what we want to do!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bedfont
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
Just an update. I installed the battery, it charged, I extended the array and then using 'diskpart' in cmd I extended my logical volume.

The system recognized the new volume in disk manager but not my computer, I rebooted and opened diskpart in cmd, selected the drive and volume and entered 'extend filesystem' and it works!

Thank you very much for all your help! :)
Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Hi,

Glad to help and glad you got it sorted.

Thanks for the Kudos points...

Regards

Mark...