cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML350 G9 Fans Too Low

ItsReallyRyRy
Occasional Visitor

ML350 G9 Fans Too Low

I recently got an ML350 G9 and the fans are very low (6-7%). This is usually desirable as it's really quiet, however my SSDs are running very warm and it's causing them to run very slow due to overheating. I have the power settings in the BIOS set to max performance but the fans still run on low and the SSDs run far too hot to function. Is there anything I can do to speed up the fans and get some more airflow? I already covered half of the HDD module blanks with paper to redirect airflow over the SSDs but it's still not enough.

4 REPLIES
ItsReallyRyRy
Occasional Visitor

Re: ML350 G9 Fans Too Low

I just realized I provided no info about the server:
ML 350 Gen9

• Single E5-2650v4
  • 128GB DDR4 2400MHz
  • Fan 1,2,3 populated (blank on fan 4 since second CPU isn't installed)
  • P440ar with SSDs in RAID0
  • Latest drivers/firmwares from latest SPP
  • Running ESXi 6.5b (HPE Customized image)
  • There are no issues showing in iLO, it's all green.
ItsReallyRyRy
Occasional Visitor

Well, shortly after posting I decided to go into the BIOS and dig around. There is an option for 'Increased Cooling' and now I have a jet in my office. I guess it's better than 'Maximum Cooling', I can't even imagine how loud and annoying that mode is. I am going to try the 'Increased Cooling' option and see how it goes. I also purchased the redundant fan kit to add more fans so maybe with 'Optimal Cooling' set and more fans I can run quieter but with more airflow, we'll see.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

ItsReallyRyRy wrote:

Well, shortly after posting I decided to go into the BIOS and dig around. There is an option for 'Increased Cooling' and now I have a jet in my office. I guess it's better than 'Maximum Cooling', I can't even imagine how loud and annoying that mode is. I am going to try the 'Increased Cooling' option and see how it goes. I also purchased the redundant fan kit to add more fans so maybe with 'Optimal Cooling' set and more fans I can run quieter but with more airflow, we'll see.

Was going to point you to the cooling options

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
ItsReallyRyRy
Occasional Visitor

Yeah, it seems the three modes are

• Can't even tell it's running
  • Who needs sleep
  • Hearing is overrated