New Discussion

Re: ML350 Gen9 Disk expansion

SOLVED
Go to solution
Boschman_IT
Occasional Visitor

ML350 Gen9 Disk expansion

Hi All,

I am new to my company and they asked me to expand the sotrage on our server. Our server is a ML350 Gen9 with a Smart Array P440 on board. Because this controller is allready maxed out (and I didn't want to expand it) I decided to install a fully supported Smart Array P840 controller additional to the existing one. So far so good, the server exepts it without problems and the software also recognises the both controllers. At this point I was still a happy admin.

So the documentation of the P840 controller said the 717971-B21 (HP 480GB 6G SATA Value Endurance SFF 2.5-in SC Enterprise Value 3yr Wty Solid State Drive) is supported so I ordered those. This is where the nightmare begins, whatevery I do the disks are not recognised by the controller.  I am kinda out of options here, does any of you have any idea?

Smart Array P840  <connected to>   HP ML350 Gen9 Smart Array Cable Kit  <connected to>   HP ML350 Gen9 8SFF Hard Drive Cage Kit  <connected to>   HP 480GB 6G SATA SSD (8x) 

The Smart Array controller has the latest available firmware.

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@Boschman_IT wrote:

Hi All,

I am new to my company and they asked me to expand the sotrage on our server. Our server is a ML350 Gen9 with a Smart Array P440 on board. Because this controller is allready maxed out (and I didn't want to expand it) I decided to install a fully supported Smart Array P840 controller additional to the existing one. So far so good, the server exepts it without problems and the software also recognises the both controllers. At this point I was still a happy admin.

So the documentation of the P840 controller said the 717971-B21 (HP 480GB 6G SATA Value Endurance SFF 2.5-in SC Enterprise Value 3yr Wty Solid State Drive) is supported so I ordered those. This is where the nightmare begins, whatevery I do the disks are not recognised by the controller.  I am kinda out of options here, does any of you have any idea?

Smart Array P840  <connected to>   HP ML350 Gen9 Smart Array Cable Kit  <connected to>   HP ML350 Gen9 8SFF Hard Drive Cage Kit  <connected to>   HP 480GB 6G SATA SSD (8x) 

The Smart Array controller has the latest available firmware.

Did you add the additional drive cage? If so did you connect a power cable to the cage to power the drives?  It's been almost a year since I've looked at the UI for a Smart Array, with some controllers you have to click a tab to see SSD drives instead of HDD

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Boschman_IT
Occasional Visitor

Hi Jimmy,

Thank you for the response. Yeah I have checked and the power cable is properly connected. When I insert the drive(s) the lights turn on for a short moment, letting me know there is some form of power. Next thing the lights turn off. Later this week I have some maintenance planned to tripple check the cabling, maybe even swap a cable. 

Boschman_IT
Occasional Visitor
Solution

(FOUND IT)

So apperently if you have the HP ML350 Gen9 8SFF Hard Drive Cage Kit and the HP ML350 Gen9 Smart
Array Cable Kit, you are able to plugin the SAS cable to the drivecage upsidedown. It is a perfect fit, but the holding pins don't click into place. I did not see it the first time, but the second time I noticed it because I was checking the cables. 

So for anyone with a similair issue, always check your cabling.