6655 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML350 Gen9 P440 Expansion - Connection instrucrtions

ArnoCH
Occasional Visitor

ML350 Gen9 P440 Expansion - Connection instrucrtions

Hello 

I've been dealing long time ago with server cabling, installing new cages etc... but this time i'm kind of stuck.

I've added a Drive Expander Cage to one of our ML350 Gen9. Everything works fine. I still have an error saying the cache module failed. I came to conclusion (maybe wrong) that the battery of the controler wasn't connected.

The firt P440 work perfectly fine. The second one shows this. I've got a cable that seems to be connected to the battery but somehow i can't find information on that. the part is 784658-001. Do i have to order another 96W smart storage battery and install it ? or one is enough for the whole setup  ? if yes, where do i plug this cable or how do i connect the new p440ar to the existing battery.

Thanks a lot for your help ! have a nice day and week end

Arno

4 REPLIES 4
Bunsol
HPE Pro

Hi Arno,

As per the information shared if im correct you have a P440ar and a P440 controller. If this is the case then P440ar does not require a cable for the cache to be connected to the battery as this card has connections to the battery hardwired on the systemboard.

If you have purchased a P440 controller then this is a PCI based controller and for this a cable needs to be connected from the systemboard to the cache on the P440. Please check below link as it should be one of the two cables used:-

https://partsurfer.hpe.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=726821-B21

792836-001 or 792837-001

P440ar - Does not require additional power cable for the cache to receive backup power from battery.

P440 - Requires power cable for the cache to receive backup power from battery.

If the connections are good and still one of this shows failure but shows ok for the other then it means that bacttery is not the issue. Make sure that the firmware of the controller is updated so that it is not a reporting issue.

Hope this answers your query.

Cheers

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! Thumbs below!
I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
ArnoCH
Occasional Visitor

Hello 
Thanks a lot !! 
Well this is a PCI card indeed. This is not the P440ar but the P440.
I was wondering if you had a connection  wiring schema : i have the cable but have not clue where to plug it in...
This may looks stupid, but i've cabled the whole rest and this is in prod now. but could not find the infor on where to plug this cable at any of the ends.
Thanks a lot again, have a great week
Arno

ArnoCH
Occasional Visitor

Hello
Thanks a lot !!
Well this is a PCI card indeed. This is not the P440ar but the P440.
I was wondering if you had a connection wiring schema : i have the cable
but have not clue where to plug it in...
This may looks stupid, but i've cabled the whole rest and this is in prod
now. but could not find the infor on where to plug this cable at any of the
ends.
Thanks a lot again, have a great week
Arno

Bunsol
HPE Pro

Hi Arno,

Please refer to the cabling diagram of ML350 Gen9 which shows the cabling for the controllers in PCI slots to the FBWC module backup(Smart Storage Battery in this case) power cabling:-

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c05052722

In the above link refer to:-

FBWC module backup power cabling

Storage controller installed in slot 1 to 4

Storage controller installed in slot 6 to 9

Link also shows the cabling of the Smart storage battery to the systemboard.

So depending on which slot the controller is installed refer to the cabling diagram

Hope this answers your query.

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo