1753628 Members
5430 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML350 Memory Dimms

Dave McQueen

ML350 Memory Dimms

I have a problem with my new ML350 and memory.

It came with 1 Gb installed and I purchased another 3 x HP 1Gb DIMMS.

I have checked the new DIMM's individually - all fine, they will run in pairs fine, but the server will not allow me to pair the orginally installed DIMM with a new one.

I get a memory error, telling me that the memory does not match, and the server will not boot.

It appears that the HP installed Dimm is different, but I don't know why.

Any ideas ?
5 REPLIES 5
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

Re: ML350 Memory Dimms

I guess you have a G4 server. The dimms have to be exactly the same for each dimm pair. This means: Look at the assembly number,
331562-041 with 331562-051 will NOT function.
331562-051 with 331562-051 will function.
331562-041 with 331562-041 wwill function.

There is a stock/spare problem. so therefor you got mixed dimms. The dimms are NOT defective. Please contact HP, they will usually order two dimms from stock to make sure you will end up with two identical dimms.

Leon
Billy Bob

HP has not qualified the component number 331562-041 for the option kit 358348-B21.
If you have received an option kit with a DIMM in it which has the component number 331562-041 on it, contact HP support to log a call for your case immediately. There is a strong chance that the DIMM is not genuine HP memory.

Also, if you are having any other issues with any option kits (on this or other servers) which are not functioning together with the memory which came from the HP factory installed in the system, it should be suspect as well, and has proven in many cases to be counterfeit memory in the option kit. Report any occurrance of this, including a brief description and high resolution photos of the DIMMs either to your local HP support hotline, or send an e-mail directly to: Memory-CounterfeitValidation@HP.com, so it can be validated as genuine HP or not, as per Customer Note: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_CN0112W.

Cheers,
Colin.
Billy Bob

reposting the link to the Customer Note (CN), as the previous posting includes the ending period '.' in the link.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_CN0112W

Not all counterfeit memory can be identified by the details in this document. When in doubt, or when option memory doesn't function with factory-installed memory, log a support call or follow instructions in the CN.

Cheers,
Colin.
Dave McQueen

Thanks for the replies.

My memory is all labelled as HP from an HP partner in the UK.

The part number is 331562-051, which HP have denied is a part number. The pack is also labelled as 358348-B21

Unfortunately HP have been apalling at helping out with this problem, and following me sending digital photos of the Dimm's infomed me that the original DIMM and the optional ones are incompatible, despite them having the same part number.

I have now replaced the memory from another manufacturer.

So hopefully no more problems.

Robert Cashman

Hi Dave,
Sorry to hear you are not happy with the HP response, but in this situation if the memory is proven counterfeit then the liability for the memory is with the HP Partner who sold it to you, as if it did not originate from HP it is not covered under warranty and has likely been purchased from an illegal source.
rgds,
Rob