1748167 Members
3998 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML350 - Mixing IDE with SCSI

Jerry Lakin
Frequent Advisor

ML350 - Mixing IDE with SCSI

I have a ProLiant ML350 1st Generation twin 733 with 4 9.1 SCSI drives on a 2DH array controller. Everything works fine but I would like to add an IDE hard drive for additional storage. When I add the drive the system tries to boot from it no matter how I configure it. Is there a way to set it up to boot from the SCSI drives with an IDE drive present ?
7 REPLIES 7
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: ML350 - Mixing IDE with SCSI

Hello Jerry,
Unfortunately IDE HDDs is not supported on your server. The IDE channel in the system you have is for CDrom only. You may try a third party IDE controller in the system which may and may not work.
Regards,
Jerry Lakin
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your answer Sunil but..... If IDE is only there for the CD ROM drive why are there 2 IDE channels on board ? And why is there an option in the BIOS to boot from an IDE hard drive ?
The system boots quite happily from an IDE drive but I need it to boot from SCSI with an additional IDE drive - There must be some way of doing it.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Jerry,
My apologies because I confused myself with another system. Yes you do have two IDE channels on your system. Mind you when you connect something directly to the system board then it takes over the boot order from the Smart 2DH. Did you confirm the boot order after attaching the IDE drive to the system?? If not then when the system posts please go into system partition and make sure that boot controller order is set to first for the Smart2DH.

Regards,
Jerry Lakin
Frequent Advisor

Hi Sunil
Yes, the boot order is set for the 2DH first and IDE second with the feature card being third and fourth - No matter what I do I cannot get it to boot from SCSI when there is an IDE hard drive present in any configuration - ie HDD on first channel as master or slave or HDD on second IDE channel as master or slave.
Jeff Montgomery
Occasional Advisor

Jerry, I am having the same trouble when I tried using an SIIG Ultra ATA/133 PCI contoller card. I am curious: what card are you using and have you found a solution since your last post?
Greg Smith_9

Install the card into the PCI slot without the drives attached to it (I put it as far away from the SmartArray Controller as I could - Slot 1). Press to get into the BIOS setup. Disable the new PCI IDE controller by cursoring down to it and pressing enter on and down arrow to . Save and turn off. Install the drives on the new controller and reboot. When Windows 2000 comes up it will find it!!! Being disabled in BIOS does not mean disabling it in Windows. I just installed a SIIG Ultra ATA 133 card in a Proliant 2500 with a Western Digital 250 gig drive this way. Still boots on the SmartArray controller and has lots of cheap slow storage.
Jerry Lakin
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Greg - I'll give it a try.