cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML350 NT/Rebuild Issue / Drive/Controller - Not Found

Lewis Smith_1
Occasional Visitor

ML350 NT/Rebuild Issue / Drive/Controller - Not Found

I am in the process of rebuilding an ML 350 for testing purposes and running into a couple of hiccups. I need to have NT 4.0 installed into a directory other than the standard WINNT. If I use SmartStart and the wizard it installs it into the default directory. If I try either the manual SmartStart option or a plain NT install from the CD I encounter a different issue. Steps Performed: Step (1.) Boot to NT CD (2.) Insert Compaq NT driver for 431 by hitting S. Error â This device not installed on your systemâ Compaq says to hit F6 on detecting hardware screen and installing the driver that way. If I do this, it installs the array driver, but it does not see any disk drives.
I went ahead and installed NT all the way using SmartStart and then tried to install the parallel NT directory to see if it would let me get by. Still no go. Thoughts?

ML350 G1 / Single Processor / Smart Array 431 Controller / (3) 9.1 GB SCS
7 REPLIES
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

Re: ML350 NT/Rebuild Issue / Drive/Controller - Not Found

If you do a manual installation you'll have to create logical drives first before Windows NT setup can see them.

Could this be the problem ?
Lewis Smith_1
Occasional Visitor

Well.. No.. I currently have installed NT on the server in question, thinking this may be a work around. I wonder if it is an issue with the 431 driver I am using from the compaq site.
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

I've had a similar problem with a NetServer and NetRaid controller. When I booted from NT cd, pressed F6 and added NetRaid driver it did load the driver but NT didn't see any disks.

But it worked when I created the 3 NT boot floppies and started NT installation from floppy disk (and added the NetRaid driver).

So maybe this procedure works here too ?
Lewis Smith_1
Occasional Visitor

I have not tried the build with the disks. I will give that a try today and let you know. Thanks
Lewis Smith_1
Occasional Visitor

The disk build ended with the same results. Loaded the driver and still go the message that setup was unable to find any disk drives in the system. Could it be that I am using the wrong 431 driver? I did a search in downloads and got the only 431 driver for NT they had listed.
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

At the moment I don't see a reason why this doesn't work. I've done lots of NT installations on different Proliant hardware and didn't have that problem.

If the driver loads it should be the correct driver. If the array contains logical drives NT setup should see them.

There may be a problem if controller firmware and NT driver version are 'out of sync'. I once had a problem that after updating the drivers NT would crash during boot. A controller firmware update cured that.
Glenn Wyers
Occasional Visitor

Lewis,

Did you happen to resolve this problem? I am running into the same thing. I don't have the Smartstart CD, so I am trying to install it from the native NT CD. I get the driver installed, and it seems that NT finds the hardware. On the next screen of the NT install, however, it says that no logical drives were found. I have six 9.1GB drive set up for Raid-5.

Did you ever find a better driver?

Any help would be gggrrreatly appreciated!