ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753491 Members
4958 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 Server Failure - HD?

Kristin_9

ML350 Server Failure - HD?

have a Compaq Prolient ML350 server running Windows 2000 Server SP4. I use this server for running Veritas Backup Exec 8.5. Current specs: P3 600, 2 - 9.1GB Ultra2 Hot Swap HDs, 256MB memory, Adapted 19160 Ultra 160 SCSI card, ADIC 1200D DAT Autochanger. No SMART Array Controller.

In the last 3 months I have found this server in a "dead" state. Power, yes, but with a message that no Operating System had been found. I reinstalled the operating system, updated all drivers (from Compaq) and reloaded the backup software. The server runs fine for a few weeks until it happens again. The last time this happened, there were no hard drive lights lighting up. I took the hard drives out and slammed them back into their slots, rebooted and everthing is fine (for a couple more weeks).

Can anyone explain what may be the problem? Hard drives going bad, or the board that they are plugging into? Anything else?

Thanks in advance!
3 REPLIES 3
Helen French
Honored Contributor

It could be a hard drive issue. Try installing your OS on a different disk. Observe the server performance for some time and see what happens. If it's working okay, then replace the original disk.

I would also check the cable connections, I/O connections etc.
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Kristine,
If by slamming HDDs bring back your OS then it's definitely the backplane board i.e. the board where the HDDs plug in. The spare no for the cage and the backplane board is as follows:
Backplane Board, Simplex, SCSI Drive Cage, 4-Slot 387090-001.

Regards,
Kristin_9

Thanks for both of your responses. I appreciate the part number! I ended up reseating all of the components inside and as of right now everything is working... Although, usually in a few weeks all goes down again.