1752572 Members
4468 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 Server with Raid 5

VanessaMac

ML350 Server with Raid 5

Hi!
I have a server that was setup with Raid 5 - using 3 hard drives. When I go into the array controller setup - there is not indication that any of the drives are failing. When I look at the server however, one of the drives have both a solid green light and a red light that is flashing on it. The array utility is shwoing that I have a spare on slot 3 - but it has no lights. I am assuming that this drive that is flashing red is failing. Once it fails, should the spare kick in? If I were to replace that drive that is flashing, do I have to wait till it completely fails or can I do the replacements swap now?
Pleae help!
Vanessa
5 REPLIES 5
GB Tek
Valued Contributor

Do you have 4 drives in the server? Your RAID 5 needs a minimum of 3 drives and to have a hot spare you'd need another drive. A hot spare drive will remain "powered off" until it is needed. The lights on the drive itself will not be lit. If one of the other drives fails, it will take over. See attached picture and describe which lights are on and which are off...
Ask and you shall receive
VanessaMac

The 3rd LED is blinking red with and X on it. The first two are green.
VanessaMac

This is on the "failing" hard drive. Yes, I have 4 drives on the server - only 3 are being used for Raid.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

yes RAID 5 minimum 3 HDDs and 1 HDD can failed
put the HDD that is failing out and replace with the new one.

as a recommendation, add another HDD as a hot spare, so when one is failing the hot spare is going to take the place for the one is failing. you know imagine if this failing HDD fails when
no one can see it.

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
VanessaMac

Thank You both!
I have replaced the drive - and kept the spare as a spare. Seems to be rebuilding...
Vanessa