1748073 Members
4593 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML350 + Smart Array 641 = No SmartStart

Marc_52

ML350 + Smart Array 641 = No SmartStart

Hi all !

I'm currently trying to use smartstart with a proliant ML350 G3 (2.2 Xeon) and a smart array 641.

Smartstart can't see the smartarray - because the drivers seems not to fit.

I'd like to know how to insert the correct drivers into smartstart - or is there any turnaround to this problem ?

Thanks for your help !
Marc
6 REPLIES 6
Idris Whittingham-Jones
Occasional Advisor

Re: ML350 + Smart Array 641 = No SmartStart

Smartstart does not support the 641, as you may already have found.

You can set the array up through the cd (possibly 6.27) but if you need to set windows up using the array controller you nned to create a floppy disk using the cd and create disk option.

When you boot with the Windows 2000 Cd select the option to install third party Raid Controllers (F7).

This should solve any probs you have

Idris
Marc_52

Yeps ! Thanks for the answer. Seems that the smartstart 6.3 handles it better. No luck for me it's not available here.
So, i'll have to go without smarstart and install it the good old way :-)
Idris Whittingham-Jones
Occasional Advisor

Smartstart 6.3 is meant to support it but there are still issues.

If this answer helped you please assign points.

Regards

Idris
Nick Walton
Frequent Advisor

What issues are there still with Array Controller 641 and SmartStart? I am just about to purchase an ML350 plus a 641 array controller and install Windows 2003 Server. Will the latest (what is that latest version?) SmartStart be able to help me do the install?

Thanks for any insight,

Nick.
It's got two chances - it will either work or it won't!
Idris Whittingham-Jones
Occasional Advisor

Hi

According to HP, Smartstart 6.3 does support the 641 controller, but through experience I have not found this to be so.

You may need to upgrade ALL firmware including hard disks, but I still recon you will not be able to do an assisted install through smartstart but instead boot from the Win2003 cd and specify 3rd party raid controller.

Hope this helps

Idris
gareth davies

I think Idris is pretty spot on - I'm hoping as I have the same problem with Catch 22's from poor Smartstart and Windows 2000 implementation

It's F6 not F7 on my windows - sorry to be pedantic !!