4950 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML350 Smart Start for utilities only

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Ikard

ML350 Smart Start for utilities only

Confifuring an ML350 with Smart Start 6.40b. I will be installing Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 Premium onto this server. Most SBS experts say to make sure that you install the Smart Start "hidden partition" with its server utilities BEFORE trying to install SBS 2003K and further partitioning of the ML350 disks. When I boot the ML350 with the Smart Start CD, I cannot find where I ONLY create the hidden partition and server utilities. The only option seems to be "Launch Setup" which insists on trying to help me install my operating system. In fact, what's worse is that it doesn't even have Small Business Server 2003 as an option under Microsoft Windows 2003. The closest it comes is with Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition. I want to install ONLY the hidden partition and server utilities at this time. I can install the server software later on my own. I don't need HP to guide me through it. Help!
2 REPLIES 2
Ed Cox
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: ML350 Smart Start for utilities only

Steve,
The last version of Smartstart that supported the utilities partition was 5.50. Beginning with Smartstart 6.0...it no longer supports this partition.
What generation is this ML350? G1, G2..G3?
Here's what the latest Smartstart v7.00 is supposed to support:

Microsoft Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft Windows 2000 and 2000 SBS
Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard, Enterprise and Small Business Edition
Novell NetWare 5.1 and 5.1 SBS
Novell NetWare 6.0 and 6.0 SBS
Novell NetWare 6.5
Red Hat Professional 8.0, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1 and 3, SuSE Linux Enterprise 7, UnitedLinux 1.0 (for ProLiant Support Packs only)

Ed
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: ML350 Smart Start for utilities only

Install manually. Download all the drivers from the HP support site and store them where you can install them, a CD, a Data Hard drive or make your own partition. Then just load the alternate drivers during the installation. A little more work but at least your installing instead of looking around for the Compaq/HP CD.
Hot Swap Hard Drives