Did you mean: 

ML350 SmartArray532 Ide Ghost

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mourgues, Pascal
Occasional Visitor

ML350 SmartArray532 Ide Ghost

Hello,
I have 4 18Go hotplug hds mounted in 2 logical 18Go raid1 hds and I would like to "ghost" it on two IDE hds.
When I plug an IDE hd in place of cd-rom, I don't see any IDE hd in ghost, or dos boot. I can only see the hd in windows (W2K Server).

Do I have to use another IDE controler ? any problem in this way (interrupt, conflict controler smartarray/onboard scsi/add on ide ctrl)? is it more secure or simple to use scsi hds on onboard uw ctrl ?

What would be your chose if you have to make a security copy of this server's hard drives ?

Thanks for your help.
3 REPLIES
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: ML350 SmartArray532 Ide Ghost

Hello Mourgues,
The IDE channel for CDrom is for CDROMs only and you cannot attach any HDDs to it. You may want to install a third party ATA IDE controller for what you want to accomplish.

Regards,
Mourgues, Pascal
Occasional Visitor

Hello
I still don't understand why I see the drive in Windows, any idea about this ?
Anyway, I will follow your advice and look for a third party IDE ctrl, any preference about manufacturer or model I have to buy ?
After copying my drives, do you agree that I can unplug the Raid Controler and boot server with IDE drives to see if my copies are ok ?
Thanks
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Mourgues,
I have used ATA controllers by Promise as well as by Maxtor. They are pretty good as for as I know but cannot say for sure as to which one you should buy. Just visit the Web site of both the companies and look for the features on the Controllers. Why you see those drives in the Windows is because of Plug & Play compatibility feature. When you install the controller please make sure you run hardware configuration by going into system partition(BIOS Setup).

Regards,
Server: AkamaiGHost Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/html Content-Length: 215 Expires: Sun, 27 May 2018 08:21:37 GMT Date: Sun, 27 May 2018 08:21:37 GMT Connection: close Bad Request

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

Reference #7.5f955b8.1527409297.0