1753778 Members
7817 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 expand to a new raid controller RAID 1 configuration

MOL_2

ML350 expand to a new raid controller RAID 1 configuration

Hello,
my problem is that i have a Compaq ML350 with 1 H/D of 36gb, installed on the scsi controller of the mother board with Windows 2000 OS.
Now i want to install a new new raid controller and create a raid-1 system without re-install the system.
How can i perform that without loosing data and make it faster as possible?

Thank you very much in advance.

Stefano
4 REPLIES 4
Mauro Rusignuolo
Trusted Contributor

after the installation of the raid controller, you can insert the 36gb HD and verify the boot process.
obviously, before all, I suggest to make a complete back-up.

if, with the new raid controller the boot operation will be ok, you can power off the system.
insert the new hd.
power on and configure the raid1.
it depends of the raid controller you want to install.
usually it is permitted to create raid1 mantaining data that were present on old hd.
build or rebuild process will start.

... and you should be in business...

bye.

tjk.
<> Leonardo da Vinci
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

Hi
You will not be able to do it without reinstalling the OS. When you create an array on Smart Array controller, the controller will store RAID configuration meta-data about on all drives, so you'll end up with completely clear logical drive.
Mauro Rusignuolo
Trusted Contributor

May be you should be right in case of a "configured raid".
you should ...

in this case, the HD is only one.

may be, may be ... I'm quite sure, that the single configured drive the MOL already have, should be read by the "future" new controller and regularly boot.

if yes... nothing forbidd MOL to try to configure a raid1 inserting a new one HD and try to rebuild and mantain old data.

have a nice day.

TJK
<> Leonardo da Vinci
MOL_2

Hi,
i need to use the existing hard disk to create the raid. SO i have to bought 1 hard disk e 1 array controller and create the raid. Do you think that is impoddible to do without re-installing the system?

Thank