Did you mean: 

ML350 freezing problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joseph Pollifrone
Occasional Visitor

ML350 freezing problem

Hi,

I have three sites where there is a problem with our ML350 G5 SBS 2003 premium servers. On a regular basis whilst performing an online Exchange backup, (using Windows NT backup utility), the server will freeze. Once this occurs you have no option but to perform a cold boot, which unfortunately causes a corruption with our information store. I do not believe the problem is with the backup process, because on a couple occasions whilst performing an ESEUTIL Repair or defrag the server has frozen. When the server freezes, there are no event log entries, (apart from the last entry the system is about to start backup of the information store), or dump file recorded.

I have installed the latest MS patches and HP software packs.

The fourth client with a similar configuration is working correctly. The only difference between all of these sites is that the client that is working has dual processors.

Has anyone had a similar problem? And if so how did you resolve it?

11 REPLIES
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

Re: ML350 freezing problem

Which Smart Array Controller are you using? And is the firmware of the controller uptodate?

Joseph Pollifrone
Occasional Visitor

It's the onboard Smart Array E200i Controller with 64MB cache. I have installed the latest HP drivers for this controller, without success.
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Joseph Pollifrone
Occasional Visitor

Thank you for your information, I agree it could be the reason for our problem.

I have checked the drives at one of the sites and the system disks, (72gb SAS drives),are on the list. I will install this patch on Saturday, hopefully this will resolves our problem. Will keep you posted.
Mike Jones 2
Occasional Contributor

I have the same problem but with SATA drives, is there any resolve for this?
sanesh vig
Valued Contributor

Hi Mike,

it could be same the cause if you are using SATA drives as well, hence You could try to update the firmware on the server using the firmware maintenance CD.

Please find the link for the latest firmware CD

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121586&prodNameId=3279711&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-26a0f9e294764a91b76b282f2a
Gabor Virag
Occasional Visitor

Hi Joseph,

We have exactly the same Problem. ML350 G5 SBS 2003 Standard Server. In our case the Server is freezing on Weekend. I can boot the Server only without Exchange Informationstore. Perorming an ESEUTIL occurs freezing again. We also dont have log entries.
I installed the latest firmware for the E200i and the 72GB and 146GB SAS 2,5" Disks, but it did not help...

Did you resolve this problem?
Thank you!
Joseph Pollifrone
Occasional Visitor

Hi Garbor,

The problem was resolved. We had replaced our E200i controller cards, (disabled on Bios), with P400 cards with battery backup.

HP did say the issues with the E200i card was resolved by:

Update Storport storage driver for windows 2003 from the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932755/en-us

Also update the drivers of E200i . Th latest driver available for E200i controller can be downloaded from the following link

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=in&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121586&swItem=MTX-261b023da6d94da7a0bd96f5c1&prodNameId=3279711&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=3

Please update the E200i controller firmware from the below link.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121586&swItem=MTX-6a64282610824f5d82c2106f7d&mode=4&idx=3

Please find the installation instructions in the respective page.

I needed to get a resolution quickly, hence why we replaced the controllers.

Regards,

Joe
BernieL
Occasional Visitor

Hi. I have a distressingly similar issue, with same hardware and exactly the same symptoms. In our case system had been working fine for a long time, but issue occured when the Exchange store started to exceed 16GB. Does this match up with anyone else's experience?
Joseph Pollifrone
Occasional Visitor

Hi BernieL,

It sounds like you haven't applied the registry fix to increase the .priv to 75gb. By defult its size is 16gb.

Cheers,

Joe
Gabor Virag
Occasional Visitor

Hi Bernie; Hi Joseph

In our case the microsoft storeport driver and the firmwareupdates was the solution. Thx to Joseph...