5297 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

ML350 g5 E200 controller failures on warm boot

nutsandbolts
Visitor

ML350 g5 E200 controller failures on warm boot

Hi All,

I have an ML350 G5 which when warm booted gives  "1719-Slot 0 Drive Array - A controller failure event prior to power-up (Previou lock up code - 0xAC)".

The only way to get a successful boot is to remove the power cables, re insert and power on.

System board and cache module have been replaced.System board twice

I also removed the existing disks and inserted two new disks, created a raid1 and tested the boot process. With the new disks it warm boots without controller errors.

This leads me to think there may be some metadata corruption on the original disks. Question is why does it work after removing the power cables. What is differnt between warm and cold (power removed) boot??

Thanks in advance

Kevin

7 REPLIES 7
scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

Re: ML350 g5 E200 controller failures on warm boot

Install the latest version of controller firmware. If the condition persists, then replace the controller.
nutsandbolts
Visitor

I should have mentioned the controller is on the system board , which has been replaced twice. Firmware is at the latest

scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

nutsandbolts
Visitor

Thanks, I'll keep that document. 1719 code recommends firmware update and replace the controller if it persists.

Which I have done.

What I'd really like to know is . Is there a diffence between how the controller behaves on a warm boot as compared to a cold boot?

Is the metadata handled differently ?  Getting a bit specific I know.....

scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

I do not understand what you meant by "Warm BOOT" & "Cold BOOT"

By cons, the controller needs a battery attached to preserve the data being transferred during a suddenly power cut.

nutsandbolts
Visitor

By Warm boot I mean with out removing the AC power , restarting from windows or CTRL Alt Delete or even power cycle.

Cold boot, removing the ac power cables so the server drains of power then reconnecting cables and power on.

Controller only works when started this way.

scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

For the Colld BOOT is equal to an "RESET ATX" you decharge all component but for tha warm BOOT all previous data are not cleared :), so if you need to do an Cold BOOT to restard server and the message error persist you need first to replace this controller