1752570 Members
5307 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML350 mirrored drives on array Win2K

Daniel A. Barger
Occasional Contributor

ML350 mirrored drives on array Win2K

I have a customer that has a primary drive failure. hot-plug drive indicates failure. Is there any way to force the controller to boot off of the second mirrored drive? I'm out of town and can't get on-site to originate a trouble call to get a replacement until Monday.
4 REPLIES 4
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Hi Daniel,

If the mirrored drive you are refering is a hardware RAID then your CU should not have any problem booting for the other good drive. When you got the new drive just power down server replace the failed drive and on POST you will be prompted with an opion to initiate a rebuild and you do so.

However, if these is a software RAID 1 (mirror) and the failed drive is drive ID0 then you might need to try to change the good drives ID # to 0 or might have to boot from a winows 2000 boot floppy and edit the boot ini file to boot from the other drive (the good drive)

Regards
Amha Kassa
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Hi DAniel,

If at this point your customer is stack on POST to choose between F1 and F2 and waiting for you to tell him what to do, you can tell him to choose the option that lets him continue (I belive it is F1 to acknowledge the POST error message and coninue)

Regards
Amha Kassa
Colin_29
Trusted Contributor

Assuming that you are using an array controller for hardware RAID:

Durinf POST, select â F2â to fail drive that is not responding - interim recovery mode will be enabled if configured for fault tolerance.

If you were to select â F1â , then the drive array will remain disabled and the system will not boot.
Colin_29
Trusted Contributor

Oops, lets try that again without any special characters:

Assuming that you are using an array controller for hardware RAID:

During POST, select F2 to fail drive that is not responding - interim recovery mode will be enabled if configured for fault tolerance.

If you were to select F1, then the drive array will remain disabled and the system will not boot.

HTH
Colin