1745802 Members
3308 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 noise level now seems high?

Mike Stem
Occasional Advisor

ML350 noise level now seems high?

I am in the process of rebuilding an older, first generation ML350. The only physical change made was the replacement of the four (4) 9.1GB drives with four (4) 73GB, 10k drives. The overall noise level seems to have doubled or maybe even more? Sitting right next to it is a DELL PE2800 with eight (8) of the identical drives and it seems quite quiet by comparison. Is there perhaps some kind of power or fan setting that I might have changed without knowing it. Even the staff has commented on the difference in ambient noise level... thanks in advance! Mike
5 REPLIES 5
GB Tek
Valued Contributor

Are there any amber lights? A defective fan could kick the others into high speed. Also are blanks installed if one of the drive bays are not being used?
Ask and you shall receive
Mike Stem
Occasional Advisor

The one empty drive bay definitley has a blank panel installed. i will check on the amber lights... am assuming you mean an indicator somewhere on the mother board?
Sajith Shams
Occasional Advisor

hi mike,

There is one fan in the ProLiant ML350 models with processor speeds of less than 1 GHz.(On ProLiant ML350 models with processor speeds in excess of 1 GHz have 2 fans.
) It is located on the back wall of the unit and is a 120 mm variable speed fan. RPM [speed] of the fan is determined by the temperature at one of several temperature sensors within the server.
a)If the temperature is less than 25├В┬░C [77├В┬░F], the fan spins at 1,600 rpm.
b)If the temperature is between 25├В┬░C [77├В┬░F] and 34├В┬░C [93.2├В┬░F], the fans spins proportional to the temperature.
c)If the temperature is above 34├В┬░C [93.2├В┬░F], the fan spins at 4,050 rpm.
A set health drivers controls the fan speeds.

Require some more info about the issue:
what's the OS on the box?
Any amber or red indications on the system board etc?
"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand Binary and those who dont"
Mike Stem
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Sajith... I will check on the warning lights this weekend and report back. The server is running Windows Server 2003 SP-2. I just installed the latest PSP files yesterday. It seems to be running fine, except for the noticeable increase in noise level. Can you advise further ref the "Health Drivers?" Thank you! Mike
Mike Stem
Occasional Advisor

Problem resolved! Loading the PSP softwre files must have installed the aforementioned "Health Drivers" as it is now back to whisper quiet. I loaded these remotely so wasn't aware of the decrease in noise level until I went into the office over the weekend. Thanks to all... Mike