ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752598 Members
5550 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 server install Error: 602-Diskette Boot Record Error

Shaqeel Mubariz

ML350 server install Error: 602-Diskette Boot Record Error

I am setting up ML350 server (either G2 or G3) not sure. The server was bought couple of years go. Any way, I erased and created Raid 5 again and also removed all partitions so that I could create my own partition. I then have booted with SmartStart CD version 4.2 (came with the server) and created 40 GB partition and selected windows 2003 server as OS. On reboot of the server it gives me Error: 602-Diskette Boot Record Error.

After reading some other articles I realised that I should not have deleted a small partion on C: This has system utils and files.

How shall I proceed? Do I need to create a small partition? I only want two large partitions on the system. One of OS and Apps and one for data.

Any recommendations are appreciated to give me piece of mind on Boxing day :-) I need to get this server ready by 2nd Jan.

Regards
Shaq
5 REPLIES 5
SCOTT DIXON

Shaq,

Any replies back on this or did you solve your problem. I have a DL380 that failed and when I started restoring it, I got the same error after the Windows 2003 Server install. Before I spend loads of time researching, any input you could provide on your solution would be great.

Regards - Scott

Shaqeel Mubariz

Hi Scott,

I was able to resolve it. In my case it was to do with the fact that I had a USB hard disk attached to the server and for some reason it was trying to boot from it. As soon as I took that hard disk out I was back to normal. I know that you can get that error for couple of other reasons as well.

G'luck.

Shaq
Dotan Akiva

I had the same error message on my DL380 G3 after connecting a new LaCie USB drive. I was able to reboot the server a few times while in front of it but the problem happened when I was rebooting it remotely using ILO. The problem dissapeared after unplugging the external drive. I am not sure why this happened.

I hope that helps.

Regards,
Dotan
esma kaya

i have an external hard drive seagate branded one sample i also want to use it as a backup device but on boot it avoids the os to boot up

i have the same problem with ml 350 t3 server
please urgent help
johnnytech

I just wanted to add to this post that I had the same issue. It turned out that I had a USB hard drive attached and the server was trying to boot from it.