cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML350 upgrade SCSI adapter to SA532 cannot load OS

Mike Larson_2
Occasional Visitor

ML350 upgrade SCSI adapter to SA532 cannot load OS

I recently upgraded a Compaq 2-channel SCSI card from my ML350 and replaced it with a SA532. The ROMpaq updates have been applied to the server and SA532. There is no OS on the machine. I use SmartStart 5.5 and did System Erase. ACU (or ORCA) allows me to create the array on the SA532. But, during the SmartStart installation, right after I insert the OS CD, I get an Error: 2 could not run s:\i386\winnt32.exe........
SS 5.5 did not install a SCU...pressing f10 gets me to my system BIOS setup. I cannot find a place there (or in ORCA for that matter) to set the controller boot order.
Also, I notice that the old SCSI controller still shows up in the IRQ table for some reason. I see where the BIOS can be set to defaults...should I do that?

Any ideas?
4 REPLIES
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: ML350 upgrade SCSI adapter to SA532 cannot load OS

Hello Mike,
You need to clear NVRAM to get rid of the old configuration. I have attached the document for your convenience. If you have any problems please feel free to post the message.

Regards,
Mike Larson_2
Occasional Visitor

Thanks, Sunil!

Actually, my problem was different than what I thought.

I left out a very important piece of information. I was using an MSDN CD. The Path to the I386 directory is different on the MSDN CD than it is on a standard W2K CD so SmartStart failed because it couldn't find the /I386 directory. So, I just copied the W2K-AS directory from the MSDN CD to another cd (with the expected path) and it worked! Maybe I could have tried a Manual install instead of Assisted ????

My old ML350 866 has a dip switch to reset NVRAM...but I'm sure that SCU tip will come in handy in the future.

Cheers!
Mike
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Mike,
In the server which have ROM based set up you need to hit F9 to set the boot controller order. In your server I would suggest you set the BIOS to defaults or set to factory settings. This should clear all the previous hardware settings.

Regards,
Mike Larson_2
Occasional Visitor

Old ML350's (600-866MHz) still have a system partition. I think the 1000MHz machine is the first ML350 to have RBSU.

I upgraded my System ROM to current, but now my system partition only has System Erase and ACU on it? I read somewhere that the System Partition needs to be newer than the ROM, so I think I need to roll back my System ROM and upgrade my system partition to get SCU and ROM Upgrade utilities on the box.