1748185 Members
3888 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 with MS SBS 2003 Factory Installed

Tom King_4
Occasional Advisor

ML350 with MS SBS 2003 Factory Installed

Can anyone explain why HP is installing TRIAL VERSIONS of Trend Micro Message Suite and OfficeScan on new servers currently shipping?

I did not want this software installed- and if that weren't bad enough-- IT DOESN'T UNINSTALL. The uninstaller is configured to look at the computer name--which of course is one of the first things that is changed when running through the setup wizard. So now I'm left with :

"An error occurred while trying to remove Trend Micro Client Server Messaging Suite-OEMSBSCN-9340. You do not have access to \\OEMSBSCN-9340\ofcscan\masunins.exe. You can specify the new uninstall program below"

Which, of course, when I try to navigate to the file on the C: drive doesn't work either.

What an obnoxious thing to do. Unfortunately, I ordered three servers around the same time and all came in configured in this manner. You can rest assured this is the last time I will order them pre-configured by HP- which will only drive up the cost for the client and make HPs less competetive in the SMB market vs. the likes of Dell...
7 REPLIES 7
e4services
Honored Contributor

We have had good luck contating the DEMO software manufacturers and asking them to define how to remove the BadWare DemoWare manually from the system.
I know Symantec will walk you through what to manually remove from the system drives, Registery and startup files
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Tom King_4
Occasional Advisor

Do you really think that is acceptable? If I wanted them to put the software on my server I would have requested it at the time of order. What is truly peculiar is that Trend isn't even an option when configuring the unit online...
Sean Waite
Frequent Advisor

We have always purchased our new servers with drives and OS separate, and after reading this I am glad we did. Tom you are correct that this is an obnoxious thing to do. It is bad enough that they put these stripped down worthless software packages on home computers, but for a server? Often when we order a server we have very little time to set it up before it goes out to the client. If we had to messing around with unwanted software could be a disaster for us.

HP seriously needs to rethink this strategy of putting on crap-ware.

In the future you may want to do what we do anyways. Order the base server and other components separately as that usually is a lower cost anyways.
Paul Verburg

Can't disagree
Have you found an answer to the problem Have the same here.

NOT HAPPY HP!!
Chris NZ
Occasional Contributor

Hi Tom, did you ever find out how to remove the Trend messaging suite. I too have just received an ML350 with Trend on it and want it gone. Keep getting an error message related to masunins.exe unable to find uninstall log.......I suspect it is interfering with mail as I have mail sitting in the queus awaiting delivery!!!!!

Thanks

Chris
Chris NZ
Occasional Contributor

Hi Tom, did you ever find out how to remove the Trend messaging suite. I too have just received an ML350 with Trend on it and want it gone. Keep getting an error message related to masunins.exe unable to find uninstall log.......I suspect it is interfering with mail as I have mail sitting in the queue awaiting delivery!!!!!

Thanks

Chris

Your version of Trend may vary, so this info might not be the proper one.

I did http://esupport.trendmicro.com/support/viewxml.do?ContentID=EN-123054&id=EN-123054
I run autopcc.exe from the pccsrv folder.

also did http://esupport.trendmicro.com/support/viewxml.do?ContentID=EN-120746&id=EN-120746
as the "MasUnins.exe \\servername\ofcscan\ofuninst.ini" failed to verify the password, guess it tries to contact the factory to verify the password.

Also did
6. Proceed to the Device Manager and enable the Show Hidden Devices option:

. Right-click My Computer.

. Click Manage and then select Device Manager.

. Remove the following hidden devices in Non-Plug and Play Drivers pertaining to OfficeScan (right-click and select Uninstall):
//I didnt have them all listed//
o Trend Micro VSAPI NT

o Trend Micro FILTER

o Common Firewall Driver

o NTRTSCAN (if available)

o TMLISTEN (if available)

7. Restart the OfficeScan client machine.

/G├Г┬╢ran