ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752571 Members
4613 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350G2 Conversion Kit

ML350G2 Conversion Kit

Hello.
I have just bought a Rack Conversion Kit for my Proliant ML350G2 (237045-B21 or sparepart 134699-001), but I have some difficulties assembling it. Does anybody out there have a small assembly instruction that they could email me?
Thanks.
Ulrik Andreassen
9 REPLIES 9
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Didn't the conversion kit come with an instruction leaflet?

Use the pictures in the Maintenance Guide to help you:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_236634-002_rev3_us/TPM_236634-002_rev3_us.pdf

First remove the front bezel door (page 2-6 of the Maintenance Guide). Also remove the plastic "feet" from the server (page 2-39).

The next step does not have a convenient instruction page in the Maintenance Guide, so you must refer to the mechanical parts view in page 1-2. You'll want to remove the right side panel (marked 2a in the picture). This panel is not needed in a rack configuration: its purpose is to hide the rack rail grooves when the system is in tower configuration. If I recall correctly, the panel slides off after you remove one screw from the edge of the panel near serial port B.

After that, the next step is to install the inner rails (rounded/tapered end towards the back of the server and slightly protruding; usually the screw holes are designed to align in the correct position only) and the rack-mode front bezel. See page 2-7 of the Maintenance Guide.

The final step is to mount the server in the rack. Just as usual: install the outer rails to the rack and then slide the server on the rails. Have another person help you or use a lifting device: even though you might be able to lift the server alone, its bulk makes it hard to align correctly to the rails without some help.
MK

Hi Matti.
Thanks for your quick answer. No, the rack conversion kit did NOT come with a small instruction leaflet - witch also surprised me... that's the reason why I am posting on this forum... I will try to follow your instructions and how it goes.
-Ulrik

HELP.
The 2 rails is not long enough. They are about 5 cm too short, because they are fixed length!!!
Does anybody know what the required space between the mounting rails is?
Rajashekar Chintakunta
Honored Contributor

Hello Ulrik Andreassen,

I was not able to find the Guide for Tower to Rack conversion for G2 server, but found for G3 server. Hope it helps you.

http://docs.hp.com/en/287939-002/287939-002.pdf

The product 237045-B21 or sparepart 134699-001 is the right conversion kit for ML350G2.

Hi Rajashekar.
Thanks for your help, but unfortunately there are some differences between the G2 and the G3 rack conversion kit. Fx. does it seem that the so called Brackets are variable on the G3 model. The brackets that are in the G2 kit that I bought (134699-001) are FIXED length, and my rack are 5cm deeper than the brackets!! Furthermore there were no Rack panel front in the G2 kit that I recieved, so I don't know if I am missing it now, or there ain't no rack front panel for the G2.

Oh and by the way: what are the 4 pcs. of RACK LIFT ASSIST GRIP for, and how should I mount it???
Rajashekar Chintakunta
Honored Contributor

Hi Ulrik Andreassen,

I am not able to Find any info on this Ml350G2 conversion.

Check if the ProLiant ML350 Tower-to-Rack Conversion Guide helps you.

http://www.miscity.net/oars/HW/SYS/INTEL/SERVER/PROLIANT_ML350/resources.html

Unfortunately the install guide for the rack conversion kit ain't online....

Can nobody tell me what the 4 pcs. of RACK LIFT ASSIST GRIP are meant for, and how should I mount it???
-Ulrik