4960 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350G3, SA641, drive changed SCSI ID

Sarandi
Occasional Contributor

ML350G3, SA641, drive changed SCSI ID

Hi:

I have a problem with ML350G3 / Smart Array 641. Six drives attached (the whole cage). IDs 0 and 1 are mirror with boot Windows 2003 server. IDs 2, 3, 4, 5: RAID 5 with data. After a reboot, drive with ID 4 appears with red light. But raid status is OK, and ACU, ADU and Survey show now a new drive ID 6 and none drive with ID 4. Physically there is no drive ID 6. Events show that drives has changed position. I think about old FW, but where: in SA641? in drives? both? Another suggestion? SA641 FW is v2.34.

Regards,
Sarandi
4 REPLIES 4
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Sarandi,

The latest Firmware for SA 641 is 2.76
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/26775.html

I would recommend downloading Firmware maintenance CD 7.90 & installing it.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27783.html

This will ensure ALL the firmware revision on your server is up to date.

Regards,
James.
e4services
Honored Contributor

Firmwares would not cause this physical problem. THe IDs should be physically, as you stated, fixed to the slot and should not float. AND ID 6 is not even used for the drive slots, specially out of order, so you got to suspect the backplane has a problem. I'd replace it.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello,

The reason I suggested updating the firmware is, I had encountered a similar situation; it was an MSA1500; OS was RHEL & the Minor Number kept changing on every reboot;

Updating the Firmware then fixed it then;

:)

Regards,
James.
Sarandi
Occasional Contributor

Thanks to all:

Last night I updated all FW and PSP both 7.90. Problem is the same: ACU shows both volumes good, but I still have a red light in one drive. After FW update, initial message from SA 641 changed and is more clear:
"1734 - slot1 Drive Array Disk Drive(s) Responding to incorrect SCSI ID. Backup your data, replace faulty drive, reconfigure array and restore SCSI ID 6".
Note the inexistent SCSI 6 to replace!. Now need press F1 to continue boot.

Next weekend I will go with a couple of drives, a backplane (if I get one) to take server off production, try each backplane position, reconfigure RAID, restore data, etc. I suspect backplane failure, too.