ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753562 Members
5747 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350G4, DAT72 Hot-Plug, SA641 - A supported mix ?

tom_173
Occasional Advisor

ML350G4, DAT72 Hot-Plug, SA641 - A supported mix ?

Hi

Just got a ML350G4 with DAT72 HotPlug (plus 4 x U320 SCSI disks) in a SA641 connected HotPlug bay.

Tape drive shows permanent "Clean" LED - according to manual means hardware error ? When I tried to put a DAT tape in it ejects after about 4 seconds...tried cleaning tape but this did not fix problem and seemed to be ejected to quick also.

After speaking with HP Support still unclear as to whether this is a supported config (although a distributor thought it was okay).

Tried using Firmware Update CD but nothing to update...running out of ideas - please help.

Next step was to try to update BIOS (D17 to D19) but the BIOS update feature on SmartStart v7.2 appears to have disappeared ?!

Thanks

Tom
3 REPLIES 3
Ameen Khan S_1
Advisor

Hi,

Have you tried different tape.
I think the firmware has to be updated for the DAT tape drive.
tom_173
Occasional Advisor

I have tried different tapes - same problem. Firmware was already latest.

Tape drive was replaced yesterday but I now have a different set of problems...new drive is not recongised at BIOS stage (?!).

Notice orange LED on hotplug bay rather than green on disk bays BUT same happens on identical ML350G4 and LED goes orange on bay if I move tape drive to bay that is okay with disks.

Please can anyone help.

Thanks

tomhass
tom_173
Occasional Advisor

Update....

Yet another new drive was tried today with slightly different symptoms (again!)..this time tape added okay generally but failed read/write test with communication errors.

On a 'guess', tried splitting backplane of hotplug bay and putting tape drive on a separate bus....this fixed all the problems.

However:-

I know separate bus is preferable due to performance but it SHOULD work anyway and nowhere do HP say you have to purchase a duplexing option !!!

Can anyone enlighten me ?

Thanks

tomhass