ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748255 Members
4008 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML350G6 optional 2bay LFF cage: howto connect drive LED's?

obrockmann
Occasional Contributor

ML350G6 optional 2bay LFF cage: howto connect drive LED's?

We added an optional 2bay LFF cage to a ML350G6 which is a SFF model. The optional bay came with an Y-cable and we connected it to the existing SFF cage. Drives are working fine but the drive LED connector supplied with the LFF cage cannot connected to the SFF cage. The manual states: Connect the LED cable to the factory installed cage - but there is no matching connector...

Is there a way to get the drive LED's working? We would also install a second RAID controller if it would be necessary. I looked at a P410 for example but it seems to me that there also no connector for the drive LED's.

Any way to get them lit?

Thanks! Oliver

4 REPLIES 4
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

Regarding your question about LED cable, I was referring to the server user guide.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01711832/c01711832.pdf

Refer to page# 59-62, which explains on connecting the LED cable.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

obrockmann
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply,

In the manual there is a 6 bay SFF cage shown, however this machine has an 8 bay SFF cage and the

connectors on the backplane do not match those shown in the manual. It seems to me that there is no

connector for the LED cable on the 8 bay cage.

But maybe we could replace the 8 bay cage by a 6 bay cage. Does anybody know the spare part # for the

6 bay cage? Thanks!

Oliver

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

Here is the spare part list for this server.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01725643

8-bay SFF drive cage backplane 511785-001
2-bay LFF drive cage backplane 511786-001

These backplanes are also used on DL/ML370 G6 server.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01711820/c01711820.pdf

Just check the storage cabling on this guide too.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

obrockmann
Occasional Contributor

Thanks,

I was told by HP that there is no chance of connecting the LED cable from the optional LFF 2 bay backplane to the original SFF backplane. I do not fully understand the differences between the LFF parts in the spare parts list.

Would this be possible?

- remove the optional 2 bay LFF assembly and have just the original SFF assembly connected to the servers

internal P410i controller

- add another P410 controller to the server

- add some other LFF assembly which can take 2 drives and connect it to the new P410 (including LED

cabling)

Thanks for any hints! Oliver