7401 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML350G6 replace LFF with SFF

SOLVED
Go to solution
atomek

ML350G6 replace LFF with SFF

I've got ML350G6 (487932-xx1) with LFF hard drive cage and 2 SFF SAS HDD (507803-B21).
I wonder if this is possible to connect these hdd using SFF cage (507803-B21) to RAID controller P410i without additional expander. I'm not going to use LFF drives in future and I don't need LFF cage.
Or can anyone suggest different solution for connecting these hdd?

What about power supply, does it differ in SFF cage from LFF cage?
7 REPLIES 7
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: ML350G6 replace LFF with SFF

Do you have both cages installed and how many disks you have in each cage? If it is less than 4 you should be able to connect the 410i using one data cable to each cage.

If you are trying to insert the SSF disks in the LFF bays, you might be able to do it by putting the 2.5" disk in a 3.5" adapter like this.
Then you would still need the LFF disk slot bracket to be able to slide and snap/lock the disk in the LFF slot.

Take a look here http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1395690
atomek

I have only LFF cage and its empty. I'd like to use SFF disks rather without additional adapters (starting with these 2 SFF hdd).
My concern is that cablings to RAID controller and power supply of SFF cage kit are the same as in LFF cage?
TTr
Honored Contributor

How will you insert the SFF disks in the LFF cage?
atomek

Into SFF cage kit 507803-B21 which I'll buy if there is no problem with rerouting raid and power supply cablings from existing lff cage to new sff one.
atomek

Thanks for help, case might be closed.
TTr
Honored Contributor

The 507803-B21 is the *second* cage, it is supposed to go at the top of the server where the large CD/DVD bays are. Are you aware of that or do you expect it to go at the bottom in place of the LFF cage?

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13241_div/13241_div.html#Additional%20Options

See the "HP Drive Cage Options" section.

Also see user guide, page 57-59
http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01711832/c01711832.pdf

You should be able to use the same controller, the note about needing another raid controller or a SAS expander card is there in case the first raid controller is used with the first cage. The cables should be the same, the only problem you might have is that if the original cables that are meant to be used with the lower cage may not be long enough to reach the upper cage.

atomek

I was going to put SFF cage in place of 2 optical drive above installed LFF cage. But I didn't realize at first that cables might be too short to connect cage to controller.
Finally I decided to buy new LFF hdd na move these SFF to different server.