7536 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

ML350P Gen8 and H220 Controllers

davascript
Visitor

ML350P Gen8 and H220 Controllers

Hello, 

I have been struggling with the storage configuration on this server for over a month.  I am trying to use the H220 SAS controller.  I have two LFF hot plug drive cages with HP Gen8 drives.  If I connect the onboard P420i to either of the boxes all is well.  Once I place the H220 controller(s) in the server it starts a constant beep at Power and Thermal Calibration.  I ordered New H220's and have also tried to use LSI 9207-8i controllers with the same results.  Has anyone had similar issues with this? I see posts about people using non HP PCIe cards, yet I have issues with HP cards.   

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: ML350P Gen8 and H220 Controllers

How many and which kind power supplies do you have in this server? If you have one low end power supply, it is possible that you exceed the power consumption for this server/supply. Check with the power advisor.

davascript
Visitor

Re: ML350P Gen8 and H220 Controllers

Thank you for replying.  I did have the same idea.  I did have a 460W and now currently have two 750W installed.  I had the server running with 1 Processor,  192GB of system memory, 1 controller, and one LFF HDD cage filled with 3TB 7.K SAS on that single 460w PSU with no beep.  After getting the new PSU's in the machine I slowly started to add things like 2nd Processor and the other 192Gb of memory.  The beep came back.  I am resetting the NVRAM(BIOS) via the maintenance switch currently and will update tomorrow after working with the online power advisor.

Update:

The power advisor did say that a single 460w is insuffficient and that the redundant 750w is.  After reading the manual it seems that because I am using CPU's in the performance category I need the fan louvers(OK purchased).  The machine is running as described above with no beep.  Once the second H220 is connected to the 2nd LFF cage the beep returns.  I also have had no beep when using a single H220 plugged into a SAS expander fully connected to LFF cage 1 and only 1 of the two SAS channels on LFF cage 2.  Very strange behavior if you ask me.