ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752678 Members
5237 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

ML350e Gen8 - B120i Controller - 'CACHE STATUS PROBLEM DETECTED' even after cache replaced

SOLVED
Go to solution
PC23
Occasional Advisor

ML350e Gen8 - B120i Controller - 'CACHE STATUS PROBLEM DETECTED' even after cache replaced

Hi,

Had this issue appear about a month ago in this server. SSA reports fatal error:

CACHE STATUS PROBLEM DETECTED: The cache on this controller has a problem. To prevent data loss, configuration changes to this controller are not allowed. Please replace the cache to be able to continue to configure this controller.

I can't access any features or functionality of the storage whatsoever, however, the array seems to be intact and operating.

I replaced the cache module with a new one of part number 631679-B21, this was suggested by a supplier when I told them the server and controller models (as it's not possible to see any information about the cache module when it's in this state). I believe it was the exact same model of cache module as the old one that came out of the server, so I'm pretty sure it's the correct module.

It worked fine for a couple of weeks, but now the exact same issue has occured. SSA CLI reports the same error as the GUI and also allows no functionality whatsoever.

What should my course of action be here? It's unlikely the new (brand new, sealed) cache module is faulty, but possible I suppose. Is there something else I can look into to try to determine if the problem is actually with the mainboard?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

Re: ML350e Gen8 - B120i Controller - 'CACHE STATUS PROBLEM DETECTED' even after cache repl

Have you configured any logical volumes? You can also try to reseat the cache module and to update the FW of the controller.

Replacing the cache battery fixed the problem for us.  All error messages went away shorty after booting the system up with the new battery.

I Haq
Sebasbin
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: ML350e Gen8 - B120i Controller - 'CACHE STATUS PROBLEM DETECTED' even after cache replaced

Hi,

Try to update the server BIOS/firmware's to the latest versions  and verify the functionality 

https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/product?language=en_US&tab=driversAndSoftware&kmpmoid=5260585#t=DriversandSoftware

If issue persist, re-seat the cache module and replace the battery and check.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

PC23
Occasional Advisor

Re: ML350e Gen8 - B120i Controller - 'CACHE STATUS PROBLEM DETECTED' even after cache repl

Thanks very much. I updated the BIOS, this had no effect, I was hoping that would do it as after reading a bit, apparently the BIOS fw includes the fw update for the integrated (fake) raid B120i storage controller.

I then updated the FBWC cache module firmware to 0.50 from 0.35 and she works again. No errors now and fully configuarble. Maybe it needed the combination of the 2. Strange that the issue just came out of nowhere though.

Thanks!