ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748223 Members
4597 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350p Gen8 - Hard Drives, SBS and Controller??

Sbrown
Valued Contributor

Samsung 840 pro I have tested extensively and with both LSI 9266-8i/9271-8i and HP P420/1GB FBWC on dl380 G7 we have noted that stability with the latest drive firmware is only achievable consistently with industry standard 28-50% overprovision.

Intel 710 drive is a 320gb flash with 160-200 configurable usable space. 50% tucked away!

Why? Because the life of the drive will triple at 30% overprovision and performance after 20 seconds will stabilize and latency will not spike all over the place with random timeouts eventually that trigger a TLER recovery (dropping the drive).

You cannot run these drives so hard with stock overprovision.

the sm843 is the samsung 840 pro with only 10% OP hardcoded in. the SM843T adds a tantalum capacitor. The SM843 also comes with supercap and emlc but costs a ton more.

You can use any SSD if you follow my rule: 30-50% overprovision. Trust me here i've been rocking samsung 830 and 840PRO for a long time, and if you use ESXi 5 you will know about the latency warnings! they are telling you something! With 30% OP the latency warnings are non-existent. with stock OP% they start coming under duress and eventually drop a drive.

Consider yourself lucky to use cheap samsung 840 pro's and look around at other MLC drives -  they all sell with 30-50% over provisioning my friend. Seagate LAMD? Yes! Intel? Yes! 

It's hard to swallow 192gb out of 256gb but the price you are paying versus OEM is so cheap you could afford to even do a 512gb drive at 256gb usable. You will get that 6 PETABYTE of writes!

csvarasdy
Collector

I just wanted to share my experiences with G8 SFF.

my trays just arrived, and tested with
- 1T SATA drive, worked, SMART OK, and SMART enabled

-  300G Toshiba 10K SAS, worked, SMART OK, SMART disabled. Because SMART is disabled, P420 does not display the drive temperature (what is visible if you query it with smartctl). Fans turned to full speed, hp-health going to shutdown due overheating.

the same 300G Toshiba drive working will in G6 and G7 server (with same temperature issue, but without shutdown request). 

an old HP 36G SAS drive works happily in G8.

So must be a SMART compatiblity issue with Toshiba (and maybe other manufacturers) SAS drives.

csvarasdy
Collector

for the archive: Seagate constellation series 2.5" 1T drives working well. (SMART OK, temperature OK)

Oliver Schulze L.
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the info regarding the Seagate Constellation.

So, this setup may work?

- ML310e Gen8 v2

- P420 non hot plug

- 4 seagate constallation with caddies 691585-001

Regards,

Oliver

VelocityTracy
Advisor

Bare this in mind before you go running away from HP servers...companies such as mine sell WAY more Dell parts.
New here but not new to the Industry and Love to help!
waaronb
Respected Contributor

For what it's worth, I have a DL380p Gen8 (3 of them), all fitted with 16 300GB drives (8 on the internal 420i, 8 more on an add-on 420 controller... lack of a SAS expander for the gen8 really chafes me!)

On just one of them, one of the 8 drives on the internal controller (built in drive backplane) always throws an error on bootup, saying it's "Degraded - Not Authenticated".  This is a genuine HP drive mind you... new drive on a new server.

I got them to ship a new drive thinking it was just a defective unit, but the new drive reports the same thing.  So then I started swapping that drive with working ones on my other 2 systems just to see, and turns out it's not the drive that's the problem.

For an unrelated error on this same system (bad DIMM slot), I replaced the motherboard and I thought maybe that would fix this other issue too, like the 420i controller was flaky.  But no.  It appears to be an issue with that backplane board itself...

This is in a remote colocation (other side of the country), so now I have to schedule a replacement backplane board on my next site visit in a few months...not the kind of server surgery I'm going to ask the remote-hands folks to tackle.  And hope that fixes it.

Point being, it seems this "genuine HP drive" thing is a big old pain even with genuine HP drives.  The drive works fine, it just helpfully warns me that LED's won't do their full magic or whatever, and now I've got my Insight Manager bugging with with a yellow warning.

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Have you tried replacing the SAS cables that connect to the backplane?  I've heard of issues where the drives were not recognized as Genuine and it was caused by a faulty SAS cable.

I am not a technician and had to get the server set up for me. 

I currently have a 

HP ML350p GEN 8 E5-2620 32GB 2 X 300GB 460W TWR plus a further 2 x  HP 300GB 6G SAS 10K rpm SFF (2.5-inch) 

I have purchased a further 32GB RAM, 4 x 1TB SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE500BW 2.5" SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD), 4 hard drive caddies. 

I cannot find a local technician to install these for me.

Are there any instructions for dummies anywhere I can follow in this regard?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Naylin

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Look for supported SSDs:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/productbulletin.html#spectype=worldwide&type=html&docid=14226

Hot Plug SFF SATA SSD 9.6TB 24 x 400GB
Hot Plug SFF SAS SSD 19.2TB 24 x 800GB
Hot Plug LFF SATA SSD 7.2TB 18 x 400GB

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Oliver Schulze L.
Occasional Advisor

Just to sent my feedback, my server is not an ML350p, is an ML310e Gen8 v2.

That ML310e Gen 8 v2 comes with 4 NHP caddies, so I connected 4 Seagate Constellation ST2000NM0033 and they work just fine. The SMART is detected and the fans work normal.

We choosed the Segate ST2000NM0033 since there are enterprise level and HP only offered mid-level SATA. So the MTBF of the Seagate where better.

HTH

Oliver