ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752404 Members
6199 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML350p Processor Upgrade - Steps and parts?

SOLVED
Go to solution
6BQ5
Frequent Advisor

ML350p Processor Upgrade - Steps and parts?

I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here but I would like to know what it would take to upgrade the processor in a ML350p.

The machine I am getting has two 2640 V2 processors. I have swapped and upgraded processors before so I understand how careful one must be when handling them.

Can I reuse the same heatsink or does HP use a diferent unit?

Does the BIOS and or any other firmware need to be upgraded before upgrading the processors?

How does Windows Server react when it sees new processors? Will it throw up screens and warnings?

Would I be ok using the stock 2x750W supplies with the 2697 V2?

Thanks!

Boris
12 REPLIES 12
DANDKS
HPE Pro

The basic requirement to upgrade processors with higher model is to upgrade the BIOS version if not done already.

Same Heatsinks should not be used

The following is the part number information for purchasing the processor which includes the required heatsink & fan

722301-B21 - HP ML350p Gen8 Intel® Xeon® E5-2697v2 (2.7GHz/12-core/30MB/130W) Processor Kit

There will be NO issues within Windows if the Processor is fully compatible with the server

Yes, 750W Power Supplies can be used with the mentioned Processor

Thank you

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
6BQ5
Frequent Advisor

@DANDKSThanks for the reply!

I searched the hpe.com website for "722301-B21" hoping to fnd official documentation of some kind, like a detailed parts list showing individual part numbers for the fan, heatsink, and processor.. Nothing came up. Is anything available anywhere? I always like to have a spare fan or two available just in case.

The server arrived today. It turns out to have 2x460W supplies ... not 2x750W supplies like I thought. Are those two power supplies enough? I always figure I should really only count on one supply providing power for the whole system as the worst case scenario.

Thanks!

Boris
DANDKS
HPE Pro

Please use the HPE Support site for all the required information about any HPE product. Use the model name of the product as a search string. Further use keywords like Option parts, Spare parts, QuickSpecs, Overview etc to get detailed information.

Also use https://partsurfer.hpe.com/search.aspx for getting spare part numbers. Use the product serial number in the search for getting information about the parts shipped with that particular product & also the option available for the same.

Thank you

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
6BQ5
Frequent Advisor

Wow, the Part Surfer site is super cool! Thanks for posting it!

I entered 722301-B21 and I can see the fan, the latch, and the processor. The site also gives me parts 662858-B21 and 722306-B21 with links to click on them. When I click on them the site says this message.

"No additional information for 662858-B21  found in PartSurfer. Please read the hints below, and try again."

What are those parts? Documentation? Certificates?

Thanks!

Boris
DANDKS
HPE Pro

You can always use the HPE Support site for any information about any HPE products. To be more specific, please refer to the following link for a complete information about ML350p Gen8 server:

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/gethtml.aspx?docname=c04123166

Please ignore 662858-B21 and 722306-B21 as they are internal part numbers referred within the organization.

Please let us know if there are any questions unanswered.

Thank you

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
6BQ5
Frequent Advisor

@DANDKSThanks for the clarification on those two parts!

One thing i don't see linked to that part in the Part Surfer is any sort of documentation. I imagine the kit must come with something "official" showing the installation steps, where the fans plug into, etc. Searching the hpe.com site comes up with nothing.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Boris
DANDKS
HPE Pro

The installation instructions will be available with the package. Alternative, instructions can be found from the below link.

https://sml-csr.ext.hpe.com/

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c03257410

Write back for further clarifications if any.

Thank you

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
6BQ5
Frequent Advisor

@DANDKSThanks for another quick reply!

Can you tell me where the two fans (one for each new CPU) would be installed and from where they would draw power? I removed the air baffle and looked everywhere for a header or connection point. Maybe I am missing something super simple here? I cant find any reference to CPU fans in any of the documentation.

Attached to this messagre are two photos. One is of my whole system with the baffle removed. You can see I already have four fans. The second picture is of one of the fans so you can see the part number.

20200303_222129.jpg

20200303_222233.jpg

Boris
DANDKS
HPE Pro
Solution

Required number of fans are already installed in the server as per the photos & the part number on the parts:

667254-001 Fan module assembly - 92mm x 92mm (3.62 inches x 3.62 inches) - Includes latch - Three used with single processor, four used with redundant fan configuration or dual processors

The fans get connected to the System Board (Mother Board) directly. The AIR will be blown out from the rear with help of the Air Baffle.

Hence, you just have to install the CPU's & the Heat Sinks. Keep the Fans as a spare.

Thank you

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo