4018 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML350p and 2nd Media Bay Cage Kit

IISAP
Occasional Visitor

ML350p and 2nd Media Bay Cage Kit

Hello to all

We recently purchased an used ML350p G8 SFF from another company.
We need to use drive 3.5", so we have to buy a LFF bay.

Now these are our questions:
1. The second media bay cage is always usable or need second processor?
2. The second media bay cage (661618-B21) is different from the primary drive cage (659485-B21) or are they interchangeable?

Thanks in advance for your attention,
Daniele

4 REPLIES 4
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

1. Second processor not required to use second media bay.

2. They are not interchangeable.

NOTE: If only one processor is installed, only 12 DIMM slots are available. When populating with two processors 24 DIMM slots are available.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

IsaacRo
Occasional Advisor

@Suman_1978 great response. thanks!

@IISAP It looks like you have your answers for now. In case you are looking at expanding your storage infrastructure at a later point, this HP Storage Product selector might be of help:

http://h22193.www2.hp.com/data-storage/index.html?jumpid=sc_7epymnkr2q

And here is another page where you can find more information about HP Storage solutions for the Small and Medium Business:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/data-storage/data-storage-solutions.html?compURI=1403906&jumpid=sc_7epymnkr2q

I hope this helps!

Isaac.

I am an HPE employee.
To say thanks give 'Kudos' by clicking the white Kudos star!
TonyJr
Occasional Advisor

Reading the QuickSpecs, you can not mix LFF and SFF cages on the same controller (expansion cages, daisy chained).

BK_HPE
Valued Contributor

@IISAPI've reached out to our solutions team regarding your questions, and they shared some additional details. They'd be happy to connect with you offline if you need further assistance. I sent you a private message so you can let me know if you would like me to set up a meeting for you.

1. The second media bay cage is always usable or need second processor?

-- 2nd Media Bay Cage Kit is required if 2nd ODD drive is selected, second processor not necessarily required.

2. The second media bay cage (661618-B21) is different from the primary drive cage (659485-B21) or are they interchangeable?

-- The Media Bay cage kit is for the ODD, not the hard drive cages. We have the standard hard drive cage and expander hard drive cages below:

Drive Cage

All BTO Model-1's: (System: Std 1 // Max 3) (User Selection: Min 0 // Max 2)

All CTO Model-X's: (System: Std 1 // Max 3) (User Selection: Min 0 // Max 2)

659484-B21

0D1

HP 5U 8SFF Hot Plug Drive Cage Kit

1, 2, 3

659485-B21

0D1

HP 5U 6LFF Hot Plug Drive Cage Kit

1, 2, 3

661714-B21

0D1

HP 5U 8SFF Expander HDD Cage Kit

2, 3, 4, 5

661717-B21

0D1

HP 5U 6LFF Expander HDD Cage Kit

2, 3, 4, 5

Rules:

Each addtional Hard Drive Cage requires at least one SAS controller per cage ordered.  See card lists in Controllers section.

HP 2nd Media Bay Cage Kit cannot be selected, if  2nd Drive cage kit is in the order.

Mixing of SFF and LFF drive cages is not allowed.

Expander cages will be connected to the Embedded P420i controller, Customer cannot select any SAS controller to support additional expander cages.

Note - Embedded will support default drive cage which comes with the Model-X and additional two Expander Drive cages.

If the Expander cage is ordered, a Cache upgrade must be ordered as well.  See Cache upgrade lists in Controllers section.