108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML370 Additional CPU guide?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pete_51
Advisor

ML370 Additional CPU guide?

Hi, we have ML370 p733mhz single CPU machine here in Australia running NT4 server. I have purchased additional CPU, PCB etc. I have found the HAL utility to change to SMP HAL.

1. Is this upgrade process documented somewhere that some one could me to a link?

2. If not is this simply a matter of installing the HAL util, adding the CPU and PCB and then booting up, hitting cntrla and reading through the config?

3. The compaq reseller has sold me a p800mhz CPU to go with my existing 733mhz - is there anything special i should do? He claims this will plug in and 'auto clock down' to play nicely with existing 733mhz, but i am sceptical, and really dont want to cause any major outages of this machine...

I have search this forum, but no one is trying to use 2 different CPUs, and no one has really doco the process they used to install it.

I hope some one has the time to help me.

kind regards and thanks
Pete
9 REPLIES 9
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Pete,
First of all just make sure that the system bios is uptodate and here is the link just in case you need it:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/7_1119.html

This link also has all the sw upgrades for your server. I would not advise you to install two different CPUs in the system. I don't recall if anyone has been successfull in this venture. I do have a document which will explain the HAL upgrade process. I shall email it to you later on. Just drop me a line at sunil.jerath@hp.com

Regards,
Pete_51
Advisor

HI again, the supplier sent me these notes, what is the VRM module? Does this come with the ROM pack? Note we have never change any firmware, bios or drivers since this machine was comissionsed (whenever the 733 was new), it is very solid, and on a private IP subnet - can i get away with not upgrading all of these BIOS/firmwares? I really dont want to mess with this machine too much, install the CPU/RAM and HAL and leave it alone...

Appreciate any comments

1. Go to
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/8_1119.html
2. Download the current system rompaq 4.12
3. have a blank formatted floppy disk ready
4. run the downloaded system rompaq from where you saved it
5. hit page down until a blank spot appears and enter the word "agree" to
there T&C's
6. It will ask to extract the file on to FDD location
7. Boot the server from the Floppy disk
8. It will pretty much guide you from there.
9. once you have done a hard power reboot shut server down
10. Install CPU and VRM module and reboot.
11. Let me know how you went?
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hi Pete,
You should upgrade the System bios undoubtedly because it will prevent the system from causing any grief to you in case of the upgrade. VRM is a voltage regulator module which has to be installed with the extra CPU. I am still not 100% convinced about putting in a different MHZ CPU in the same server. As for as the upgrade of BIOS is concerned. That can be done with ONLINE version as well. So do the upgrade first. I am not finished working on your issue but surely shall let you know by tomorrow.

Regards,
Pete_51
Advisor

Thank you for your efforts, they are greatly appreciated. I wait patiently for your reply.

Look forward to your response/s :)
e4services
Honored Contributor

Pete,

You can check at the Intel web site about what processors can exist with what other processors in a dual configuration. If I remember their comment to us, the stepping has to be the same. I doubt that the 733 and 800 were.
I am looking now at the Intel Processor Spec finder and the PIII specs. I do see that certain 800's and 733's carried the same stepping. You will have to check the sSpec# from the CPU case markings on each and check the chart.
http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/list.asp
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Pete_51
Advisor

Thanks very much for that link, i THINK it has solved it for me? Do you guys think the follow is OK? The stepping is the same, and the multiplier is different - i will have a go at this on Sat and post results

Anyone got any tips for a back out plan? I assume i will try and reverse the installations steps?

I should definitely apply the BNIOS update? is that the ROMpaq?

Sorry for all ther noob questions, but our compaqs are SO reliable and stable, we never install OS (4 years+ this one has been on) and never change hardware or apply bios patches/updates.

**Existing 733 CPU is Sl3xn

sSpec Number sl3xn

Processor Frequency 733.00 MHz

CPUID String 0683

Package Type 495 pin SECC2

Core Voltage 1.650

Bus Speed 133 MHz

Thermal Guideline 19.1W

Core Stepping cB0

Thermal Spec 80├п┬┐┬╜ C

L2 Cache Size 256 KB

Manufacturing Technology 0.18 micron

L2 Cache Speed 733.00 MHz

Bus/Core Ratio 5.5

**Additional 800 CPU is SL3Xq

sSpec Number sl3xq

Processor Frequency 800.00 MHz

CPUID String 0683

Package Type S.E.C.C.2

Core Voltage 1.65V

Bus Speed 133 MHz

Thermal Guideline 20.8W

Core Stepping cB0

Thermal Spec 80├п┬┐┬╜ C

L2 Cache Size 256K

Manufacturing Technology 0.18 micron

L2 Cache Speed 800 MHz

Bus/Core Ra
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Pete,
What ever changes you have made just don't do anything software wise as for as the OS is concerned. But do apply the ROMPAQ upgrade i.e. BIOS for the system. Even though you have a multi CPU HAL you can still run your system with one CPU.

Regards,
Pete_51
Advisor

Great, will try this ouyt on Saturday and let you all know how i went.

thanks for all your efforts, much appreciated
Pete_51
Advisor

Thanks so much for everyones help, i followed the procedure and everything seems to have gone VERY smoothly. CPU installed, detected by BIOS and the diferent speeds reportedly accurately.

Install the HAL and NT detected and shows performance data for both CPUS, appears to be running solid and without error so far.

Also added some ram while i was in there and the servers appears (while using the notes client) to be running much smoother than before, real test on moinday when all the users log in.

THANKS so much for the OUTSTANDING suport i have recieved on this forum. BRILLIANT!