108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML370 Drive Failure

SOLVED
Go to solution
rick fredricksen
Occasional Advisor

ML370 Drive Failure

Never had to do this before so could use some guidance. Have ML370 with Smart Array 5300 with 4 each 9.1 GB Ultra 3 physical drives configured as one logical drive. Get a slot 5 bad or missing drive with scsi port 1 ID3 error. Currently in Interim Recovery Mode
Failed Physical Drive Port 1 ID 3
Array Accelerator is enabled. I have ordered a new drive... could not get one identical to what is there now (discontinued product) so had to get a CPQ 36.4GB U320SCSI drive which I was told would work with this server. What issues am I looking at with an Ultra 320 versus Ultra 3? Can I just hot swap the bad drive with the new drive and hope the rebuild works? Do I need to set the rebuild option in the Array Config to something other than the default?
TIA for any advice you might be able to offer.
6 REPLIES 6
Tarek Kawach
Honored Contributor

Hi Rick:

you will not have any problems with this drive; it is completely backward compatable with the server and drive cage; and also with the old drives in the server;

You can still use in the same array ; and rebuild on it; it the array will see it as 9.1 gig.

don't change the rebuild options.

but I would make sure I have the latest firmware for the SA5300 which is at 3.54

Online ROM Flash Component for Windows - Smart Array 5300
version 3.54 B (31 Mar 04)
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/20193.html

HPRecommended Smart Array Rebuilding/Restoring Techniques
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/documentation.html

Tarek.

Hey, look a light at the end of the tunnel.
rick fredricksen
Occasional Advisor

Tarek;
Ok..when getting the firmware revision software I ran into the following information..
Need to update firmware of the disks first, doing so must be in conjunction with ROM update utility v1.1 or later.. which I don't have...
Then I need to update NT4.0 drivers with another executable saved to a floppy,
Then I can update the Smart Array firmware..

Seems like a lot just to replace a failed disk?

rick fredricksen
Occasional Advisor

Gets better... seems you need to do all of the following:
sp23649
sp19677
sp19682
psp-6.31.nt4.i386.en.zip
cp004433

along with creating 20 floppy disks
e4services
Honored Contributor
Solution

I would try to simply replace the drive and get your self out of the Interm mode or degraded array situation before I did any BIOS updates. If everything has been and is working fine that is.
Then we would suggest you think about replacing all of the drives one at a time. HP also has recommend replacing any drives 4 and 9gb that are still in service, specially if one has failed.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
rick fredricksen
Occasional Advisor

e4Services; thanks... wish I had received your reply earlier :) Now for something weird... I was about to start with installing the latest Systems Rompaq Firmware this morning... put the floppy in and powered up the server. During boot I didn't receive an array error like I had previously, instead, I got a message that the port 1 id3 drive needed to rebuild... I popped the floppy out and continued with the boot process... it looks like the drive is rebuilding and I no longer have the red failed status lite on the drive...
As far as replacing the 9gb drives as per HP..
I have a 36gb that I was going to replace the 9gb with... can I buy 3 more of these and replace one 9gb, let it rebuild and then repeat the process with the other 3? Or will I have to create a new array or something?
TIA
Tarek Kawach
Honored Contributor

Rick:

as to your question:

can I buy 3 more of these and replace one 9gb, let it rebuild and then repeat the process with the other 3? Or will I have to create a new array or something?

Yes you can and this is a support way by HP of replacing all drive to bigger drives.

as long as the rebuild is complete then you can replace the next drive by shutting down the server and removing the drive and rebuilding on new one.

I've done it many times and works all the time.

but always make sure you have a good backup before you continue; and it is time consuming.

Tarek.
Hey, look a light at the end of the tunnel.