1748150 Members
3457 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML370 G1 + SA431 + other problem

Bat_1

ML370 G1 + SA431 + other problem

Hi,
I normally search for a thread relating to my problem, but I can't seem to find a search button!
Anyway... I'm self-taught on servers, so I'm probably missing large chunks of important information.
I've had the server running on server 2003 eval. ed. and I've moved up to S2K3 Enterprise ed.
I've tried to run the ACU as I need to swap the full 18s for 36Gb drives.
I got the "Already running ACU as an application on this server" error message.
So I downloaded the 8.35.7.0 version as recommended from the SA431 Drivers section.
This version doesn't recognise my controller!
Do I need a different version ACU or a different driver or different firmware, please?

An unrelated problem... I've got a HP branded DLT 7000 tape drive, but I cannot get it to compress the tape using the Windows "Back Up" application. The right-click properties reports compression capable and enabled, HP diagnostic test reports 2.35:1 compression possible. However when it gets to 35Gb when backing-up it asks for another tape.
Any help on how to solve this one also very much appreciated :)
Thanks in advance,
Gavin :)
8 REPLIES 8
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: ML370 G1 + SA431 + other problem

About the already running ACU as an application.

Try to run ACU in IE7.
You could also try to change it from application only to remote service mode (do this from the setup icon in start menu) and then try to access ACU from a machine that have IE7.
Bat_1

Hi,
Johan, Top man! I like your lateral thinking. I uninstalled IE8 and reloaded IE7, then re-installed ACU 7.60. All is now well, just waiting for the 36Gb drives to arrive :)
I've awarded you some points, have a happy new year too! :)
You any good on tape drives???
Thanks,
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

check properies of the drive normally hardware compression is enabled by default ,
and that is much better ,

but with another app.. like symnatec you can enable software compression..
as it is "feature rich "

which also means it has like a gizillion page user guide

enjoy happy new year...
Bat_1

Hi,
I've double checked the compression is enabled in backup. I've attempted another backup, same results.
Bill's gang have produced a hotfix for this, but I've already tried it, my software is currently a higher version number too. It would appear they've still not fixed it!
I'm not going to pay them for support, that's for sure!
Which Symantec product would you recommend as I can't find one for S2K3 on their site?
Thanks,
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

disable software compression reboot ensure it is disabled ,

now take backup with hardware conmression on only
Bat_1

Hi,
Tried your suggestion, but no luck :(
Rebooting or restarting Backup re-enables the compression. So I disabled it and started a back up. The "35Gb" , "Compression" and "Density Override" lights were lit on the drive.
Cheers,
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

hmmmm Bat A DLT drive senses the tape density of used tapes and it shows that #.

So if your used tapes might be written previously with say 20Gb density. which can be overidden by using the buttons on the drive.

When you select feks.. 40g , that LED will keep blinking . if its blinking then it is all okay

if this tape has not been used by you before you are not sure of compression settings used rewind it and write to it from start

Try rewinding the tape to the beginning, then write something out to it but reset the tape density from the front .

now\is all okay :)
Bat_1

Hi,
When I set the drive up, before backing up, the the 35 and compression lights were flashing. Density override I cannot remember if it was lit or flashing.
I'll try again tomorrow.
Cheers,