Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML370 G1 and Rand Controller 431 v1.0

Lance Gilroy
Advisor

ML370 G1 and Rand Controller 431 v1.0

Hi.

Trying to upgrade the available space on my secondary logical drive (data only).

Removed 3x18.6GB drives and put in 4x36.4GB drives. Boot the server, F8 to go to array controller.

Array controller correctly detects drive sizes, but the logical drive configurations don't make sense.

Options:
- 45.5GB RAID 5, parity, fault tolerant, no online spare
- 36.4GB RAID 5, parity, fault tolerant, online spare
- 27.3GB RAID 1, mirrored, fault tolerant, no online spare
- 18.2 RAID 1, mirrored, fault tolerant, online spare
54.6GB RAID 0, no fault tolerance.

Should there not be an option for 109.2GB RAID 5...?

What the heck is it thinking?
4 REPLIES
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: ML370 G1 and Rand Controller 431 v1.0

Lance:

It looks like your Smart Array is confused. Lets take a step back...

Do you have data on the drives already? or do you just want to restore from a backup?

None of those options you posted are possible with 36.4GB drives... but you knew that. Are you sure you put in 36.4GB drives? The drive try might say 36GB, but what does the drive say?

Assuming these are new drives, then they are probably truely 36GB drives. Have you updated the firmware on the controller yet? what about the server?

While in the built-in ACU, do you see an option to list existing arrays? Maybe your original array is still in memory and it is confusing the drives as replacements. You may need to delete the original array.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi

You may try following options:

1. Take backup of data volume, delete this volume , replace hard disks and recreate the logical volume and restore the data

2. Replace disks one by one and let RAID built up be over in each step. After all disks have been replaced, use ACU to expand Logical Volume size

Regards
Mahesh
Lance Gilroy
Advisor

So as it turns out, I was tired (started at 8am) and dumb.

Re-inserted original drives into unit (same order). Removed the logical drive incorporating the old drives. Slapped the new drives in and voila, RAID suddenly isn't being dumb anymore.

Thankfully I was also able to find my Compaq EasyStart (or whatever they call the thing) CDs which made it even easier.

I know what you guys are saying about the replacing a drive at a time. Hell, that's what RAID is for! I have someone who doesn't like things being done that way thouhg *grumble*
Lance Gilroy
Advisor

See last post regarding solution.