ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752671 Members
5571 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML370 G2 SCSI Array Question

Macxx

ML370 G2 SCSI Array Question

I do not have any array cards installed but when I press F8 at boot it reads two HP SCSI Cards found:

HP Ultra3 Dual Channel at Slot 00 Port1
HP Ultra3 Dual Channel at Slot 00 Port2

How should I configure these two options to boot from the one drive which has windows 2003 installed which I have put in HD slot 0, which has previously booted fine.

I reset the BIOS with no avail.

A point in the direction of a onboard scsi guide would be appreciated as I couldnt find one, if it exists.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

if you try http://www.hp.com/go/support and look for ML370 g2, in the documentation section you'll find http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_203510-001/TPM_203510-001.pdf
this reports "integrated dual channel ultre 3 scsi controller", and has an onboard smart array controller as option (piggy-back). So you don't have an array (raid) controller but only a "dumb" SCSI controller.
The smart-array connectors A and B only function with this option is present.
Also the external scsi-connector is designed for use with the smart-array option (page 6-12).
6-9 says that the internal cable without smart-array controller was connected from the scsi backplane to scsi connector-B on the motherboard.
So i don't think you have anything to configure on the controller. but maybe the scsi-backplane is connected to the wrong connector.

Pieter
Macxx

I'm not sure that the array is installed incrorectly (plugged in)as I have recently had 6x 18.6GB drives working fine before and I have just added 5x 28.6GB drives which are not being detected.

Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

You change the problem. Not able to detect additional 5 drives is totally different from the original post : not able to boot from drive in slot-0.

you mention "array" and you mention 6+5 drives.
- The onboard controller is not an array controller (maybe just words, but right terminology can make a difference).
- I don't think 11 drives fit in the server cabinet(doc says 6!), so i assume you use an external diskshelf.

Some (internal/external) shelves can work "split-bus" (also called "duplex" configuration) wich means half is connected to bus1 and the other half to bus2. In this case you have to connect both busses to different scsi-ports/controllers on the system. Depending on the type of shelf this is done with a scsi-jumpercable+terminator or by changing a module in the disk-shelf
Macxx

The number of drives dosnt really make much difference to the question as I cannot get any drives detected at the moment and I didnt want to make the question too complicated.

I only have 6 drives in at one time, I just upgraded all the drives for larger ones.
Boaz Bezborodko
Occasional Advisor

The ML 370 has a standard (i.e. not Smart Array) controller as part of its motherboard. It also can have a Smart Array 5i piggy-backed onto the board. (I thought this was standard for the unit, but I'm not sure.)

By changing out the disks you may have broken the array and you might have to reconstruct it.

You might want to try putting all the old disks back in, but they would have to be in the order in which they were before.

Not knowing how you had it configured before I can't really tell you how to set it up now. I just find that with so many drives the safest thing to do is to set two aside for the OS. Have them mirrored so that if one fails you will have an immediate backup.

Boaz
Macxx

I think its just the onboard scsi support.

This is the thing, the old array I had setup was working fine but stopped after I had a drive fail so I thought I'de upgrade the size of the disks anyway.

I had 2 mirrored and 4 in RAID 5. Nothings been pickedu p at the moment, I thought it was just me chaning some ID's in the F8 menu not knowing what it was, I hope it was this as it would be an easy solution if anyone knows the way to have them set.

I think im going to just have to research everything about the server/scsi system and get it working somehow, its obviously too technical and too many things that could be preventing the drives being detected.

I'll post back when ive figured it out.

Any other ideas would be great though.
Macxx

I think its just the onboard scsi support the server has, I cant see any physical cards.

This is the thing, the old array I had setup was working fine but stopped after I had a drive fail so I thought I'de upgrade the size of the disks anyway.

I had 2 mirrored and 4 in RAID 5. Nothings been picked up at the moment, so I can at least format these drives (sombody gave to me) or get them detected with smart start or HP SCSI software.

I thought the problem was just me changing some ID's in the F8 menu not knowing what it was, I hope it is this as it would be an easy solution if anyone knows the way to have them setup correctly.

I think im going to just have to research everything about the server/scsi system and get it working somehow, its obviously too technical and too many things that could be preventing the drives being detected for anyone to put their finger on one thing, although I have given allot of info about the situation now across all of my posts in this thread.

I'll post back when ive figured it out.

Any other ideas would be great though.
anishvertex
Occasional Advisor

Storage Controller im ML370G2 is Integrated Dual Channel Wide Ultra3 SCSI Adapter which can be upgradable with optional Compaq Smart Array 5i Controller Option Kit.
I hope u are having only scsi adaptor .

since u dont have any data on the disk why dont you try clearing the NVRAM (System erase )so it just erase all the BIOS cinfig & start fresh. also if u opened the server and checked for any cable connectiviy make sure its all plugged in back proprerly .

hope this Ultra3 SCSI Adapter is showing while the system boots up

Regards
Anish
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

Macxx,
now you'r info is changing again,
you didn't mention before youre disks suddenly stopped responding and that was the reason to change disks.
and you change from only mentioning HP ultra 3 dual channel, wich again is NOT a raid controller!!!, to a raid1 and raid-5 set.

i supplied a lot of info and a reference to the ML370 manual, with what i thought a clear description of the the difference between de onboard normal scsi-controller and the optional smart-array controller.
have you read this manual and checked the pressence of the raid controller ?.

The fact that you now state that raid1 eand raid-5 disks were present, points to a defective raid-5 "piggy-board".

So :
- open the box and see if there is a smart-array controller-board present.
- check it hasn't come loos from its connectors.
= if so reseat and fasten.
otherwise
- disconnect the cables from the raid-connector on the MoBo and connect them to the "normal" scsi connector.
- see if any disk of the new disks are detected.
= if so this also points to a defective raidcontroller-board.

Also when booting the system you should get miltiple lines containing "press F8 to configure" on of these comming from the smart-arraycontroller.
If these messages don't come, also that points to a defective smart-array-controller.

Pieter