ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753832 Members
8478 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML370 G2 boot order with additional ATA controller

MichaelSAdams

ML370 G2 boot order with additional ATA controller

I have an ML370 G2, wchich works just fine...
Until I add a generic Silicon Image ATA card.
Silicon image BIOS works after POST, it recognises a disk.
When I try to boot from the existing array (5302, mirror with hot spare) however, no matter how I attempt to configure the boot controller order or the standard boot order in the rom based setup utility, the machine insists on trying to boot from the ATA card, and hanging.
Before I spend hours trying different ATA card etc etc , am I attempting the impossible? CAN the ML370 be used in this way? Any other comments gratefully received...
3 REPLIES 3
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

ML370 - SCSI based Server and not intended to boot from ATA or use ATA cards. You might be able to get it working with additional card installed, however in most cases any ATA card can be used only for additional Storage controller and nothing more.
In your case it conflicts with system ROM, as by design it should boot from SCSI card.
MichaelSAdams

Thank you Oleg. Yes it IS a SCSI based server. I differ that it is not intended to boot from ATA however. Unless you do not consider a CD to be ATA. It appears that it is perfectly capable from booting from ATA.

My problem is that I do NOT WANT it to boot from ATA. But the addition of an "additional card" seems to make it TRY to boot from ATA.

Yes, I WANT it to boot from the SCSI controller. " the existing array (5302, mirror with hot spare)"

My apologies if my English is not clear. I must try harder.

Michael
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

I guess you can try:

1. Check settings from ATA Card if it has ROM based Utility from POST.
2. Change priority within PCI slots abased on PCI BUS numeration and change resources for Card under PCI devices?