108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML370 G2 hard disk failure

SOLVED
Go to solution
WisQP

ML370 G2 hard disk failure

Hi

I have an ML370 G2 with a smart array 532 controller. ACU and the physical lights on the disk show that drive 3 is in predictive failure state. Drive 3 is a 72GB hot swap drive and part of a 4 disk RAID 5 array. The server is still up and running as expected.
Having just adopted this server I can't find the procedure for replacing the drives in this condition. Found the procedure for pulling the drive and replacing, but it has no mention of the RAID config. Do I just pull the drive and replace - waiting for the flashing lights to indicate the rebuild is complete and use ACU to verify, or do I need to use the array util or command line util to kick the rebuild to life.
A point in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: ML370 G2 hard disk failure

hi,

hot swapable means, after replacing the HW raid card will take care about rebuilding the array to normal status.

mikap

WisQP

Bit the bullet and assumed HP kit would be similar to other servers I have replaced HDDs
on. Sure enough drive is rebuilding.

Interestingly - for others reference - I was suffering really poor performance whilst the drive was in predictive failure. 30 minutes before the spare arrived the dodgy drive actually failed. Performance improved dramatically as the controller stopped trying to use the drive. The performance has remained good, even with the rebuild. Should have had the courage of previous convictions and just pulled it when suffering from bad performance - but RIS errors in ACU curbed my enthusiasm. Live and learn.
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

i think is normal if the the new disk will be rebuilded from the spare and normal drives, that the performance of the raid will be dramatically go down.

mikap
WisQP

Job done, array rebuilt. Just need better documentation about the actions to take when experiencing a drive failure. Or may be that is solved with the newer generation servers documentation?
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

thats very good news that your array is 100 % rebuild and fully functional, it should be in each documentation from the servers.

mikap