5882 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML370 G3 Expected int. SCSI Performance

Hadi Sukirman
Frequent Advisor

Hi Sunil,
There is maybe a missunderstanding. There is no 3rd party hardware in our servers. All from Compaq / HP.
The fire wire controllers are StorageWorks 64-Bit / 66 MHz Fibre Host Bus Adapters (According to the Insight Agent: StorageWorks RAID Array 4000/4100 Controller)
If you think that these controllers could be the reason for a possible conflict we can take the server offline tonight and see if there are any improvements. (But you will understand that we would prefer having no downtime - if possible)
Hadi
Alon-alon asal kelakon...
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Hadi,
Downtime is always a drag but we just wanna be sure about the cause of slower SCSI transfer. Therefore, I would definitely suggest taking the array out of the picture.

Regards,
Hadi Sukirman
Frequent Advisor

Hi Sunil,

We took out the Compaq StorageWorks Fibre Channel card (64Bit / 66 MHz - now already a retired product) and even replaced the SCSI cable (standard SCSI cable that ships with ML370 G3). The result is: nothing changed. Here our summary: we copy from one HDD to another, both on the same SCSI channel. The file 691,334,928 Bytes and it takes at least 40 secs (one file & drives not fragmented). So an overall data performance of 16.5 MB/s. Do you have any other idea?
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Hadi,
Well one last thing I would suggest is to Clear NVRAM by going in F9. I believe it's in Advanced features. Let the system redetect everything. If this does not fix then the only need to be done is to have the Board replaced. For some odd reason something tells me also that it could be a software issue. Anyways you did all you could do. I really appreciate your patience and cooperation. Please log in a call to our tech support and have the board replaced. Hopefully, that should fix the problem.

Regards,
e4services
Honored Contributor

Hadi,

I have been following your discussion here as it has gone on. Too bad you can not get a good answer or solution out of HP. I have seen other posts here from other users that have had the time and interest to see the actual hard disk subsystem performance in the same manor you have. I think they all have asked the same question of why.

I think I saw one users evaluation as some sort of exacution delays by the OS and BIOS, that is other processes taking presidence over the operation at times during the operation. Search around you can probebly find them, and do not limit yourself to Compaq Proliant, users of Netservers have also made such comments
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Hadi Sukirman
Frequent Advisor

Hi Sunil, hi "e4services.com",

When searching the forum we found the attached tool which apparently measures disk performance. The performance it reports is about 60 MB/s which is a number we can only dream about at the moment. (Even though it is not a good value looking at a U160 controller)
Here our question: Why does this tool report such a high performance while our file copying is at about 15-16MB/s? Since we are copying big files between 600-1200 MB (see thread history) we thought that our measuring would be more reliable. Did we make a mistake here?
And we still have a question for "e4services.com": We did not find the mentioned thread about execution delays. If you have more information about this subject we would be very happy to get it.
Hadi