108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML370 G3 Fan Failures

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mar Imus
Occasional Contributor

ML370 G3 Fan Failures

ML370 G3 server #1 and #4 CPU fan failed (amber lights on and error message on the screen)during boot up. The server never complete boot up process, then restart again and again. The OS is windows 2003 server.

I replaced the #1 CPU fan with brand new fan, but it didn't fix the problem. Same results with #4 CPU fan.

Help!!!!!!
4 REPLIES 4
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: ML370 G3 Fan Failures

Hi,

It's usually caused by the system board fan logic circuit and is very common to the ML370 G3 model. If you have 6 fans installed it may be possible to get it working with 3 fans (primary fans) and remove the redundant fans.

The primary fans are fans 1,3 and 5 (See attached image).

Also, as there are lots of people with this issue over the years type in "ML370 G3 FAN" as a search within ITRC and there might be other advice which is useful to get you up and running again.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Mar Imus
Occasional Contributor

Brian,

Thanks for your prompt response and troubleshooting expertise. I tried known good fans with same results. Looks like a motherboard to me.

Mar
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Mar,

Maybe a little late now but please be aware that there are two system board models available for the ML370 G3 and both suffer from the fan problems unfortunately.
(Please see attached inage)

2.4Ghz and 2.8Ghz systems normally have system board spare part number 290559-001.
The 3.06Ghz and above models use spare part 316864-001.

Be aware that 316864-001 is 100% backward compatible with 290559-001 so you can fit the newer system board to the older lower spec cpu models. However you cannot use 290559-001 in a system with CPU's above 2.8Ghz.

The system board has a label on it stating the spare part number. It will say "Replace with SP# XXXXXX-XXX"

These can be purchased on Ebay if your budget is limited and the system is not covered by extended warranty. Check which version of system board you have first and then use the numbers as a search. Remember you can use 316864-001 regardless of which version you have installed.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Mar Imus
Occasional Contributor

hello Brian,

I replaced the motherboard with older model. My server is now working okay. Thanks for the info and the help.

Mar