4620 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML370 G3, increase harddrive space

boromb
Visitor

ML370 G3, increase harddrive space

Hello,

I have an ML370 G3 server that I use as a webbserver.

There's space for 6 harddrives and there's some type of RAID configuarion right now

with three harddrives.

From beginning there was 3 harddrives in place and 18GB each.

Now, because of failure in time, I have changed those drives with newer ones 72.8GB big.

I still have same space amount as from beginning, 18Gb.

I wonder If I can use those additional harddrive spaces for new raid configuration?

Can I just put in a disk and use it?

Thankful for help!

Best regards!

4 REPLIES 4
ImReallySmart
Occasional Advisor

It sounds to me like like you have 3 open drive bays, which you could certainly use for more storage room.  You would have create a second RAID volume with them though, which shouldn't be much of a problem.  And as far as your original raid configuration, it sounds like you had started with 18GB drives, but then replaced them with larger ones as they failed.  The RAID volume is going to stay the same size because it has to use the smallest capacity disk size, otherwise there would be nowhere to store the parity for the information on the larger disks.

Hope that helps.

boromb
Visitor

That's right!

OK :)

How do I do to create new RAID for rest of the disks I put in?

I can't find any manual or software for it.

I talked to a kind member of this forum before who helped my much but the forum has been changed and I can't find those posts :)

Best regards!

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

More detail is needed, for a more clear answer.

If all 3 drives has been replaced to lager drives. You can extend the logical drive(s) or create new logical drive(s) on the empty space.

Beware, the operating system, must support the drive to grow.

Windows Server do so from Win2K SP4 and later. I don't know with other OS.

BR

/jag

Accept or Kudo

ImReallySmart
Occasional Advisor

This is from memory, so forgive me if it's not perfectly accurate.  It should be close enough that it will get you where you need to be.

During the POST when your server starts up there will be a part where the controller is initializing, which will probably have blue, red, and white font.  When it finishes, it will show the option to enter the controller configure menu (I can't recall the exact wording) and should tell you to hit F8 to do that, or ESC to skip it I believe.  Press F8.  From here you should be able to select an option to ADD LOGICAL DRIVE.  There should be a spot to select what type of RAID you want to add, probably hit enter on it and scroll down to Raid-5 and hit enter to select that.  Then hit Tab or the Down Arrow or Right Arrow, and you should be in the box to select what drives to RAID.  Hit spacebar to check the boxes on the available drives.  Your other 3 shouldn't show up because they should already be in a Raid volume.  Then you can Tab/Arrow to the OK box or whatever is at the end.

Again, that's from memory so it might not be perfect.  Good luck!