New Discussion юеВ

ML370 G3 powers down when booting up Windows 2K server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ray St. Louis
Advisor

ML370 G3 powers down when booting up Windows 2K server

Hi,

I have a Proliant ML370 G3 server with redundant power supply, and all available redundant fans; as well, I have dual Xeon 3.2 GHz (1MB) and 6 GB RAM. For storage, I have six 146.8 GB SCSI drives (10K rpm) and a 320 SDLT tape drive and a DVD/CDRW combo drive. When I power-up the server, everything appears to be detected and working; however, after I install Windows 2000 server (and join it to a Domain), the server performs a warm reboot then it only gets to the Windows 2000 Server screen then reboots again and this is repeated forever until I manually turn off the power. Also, I want to point out that I ran all tests from the SmartStart CD and all is well according to that. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance.
Ray
22 REPLIES 22
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Re: ML370 G3 powers down when booting up Windows 2K server

Hi Ray,

Thanx when it is done friend.
Any error reported in IML or in event veiwer.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
George_141
Frequent Advisor

In addition, Please let us know at which stage the server get reboots.

Check all the leds of the server. Is there any thing which u may forget to notice. You need to check hard disk leds, are they working normally.
Is any red or amber led indication on the hard disk or front panel.

Regards,
George
Ray St. Louis
Advisor

Hi George & Prashant,

Here's the LED status: The External System Health LED (front panel, center LED) turns red when the system reboots. No problems with the HDD LEDS (green).

Here's the exact problem:
I ran SmartStart 7.01, ran the erase utility, installed Windows 2000 server. During the installation and the server successfully joins the domain, the server needs to do a reboot. All is well up to that point. The server posts fine and everything seems to have been detected; however, the Windows 2000 screen shows up (the first black screen) as loading, then the second (color) screen shows up Windows 2000 Server but before there is even one blue bar (loading status) the system turns itself off and that's when the System Health LED turns red. The server remains off for about three seconds then reboots itself. This cycling keeps happening if I don't manually turn off the power.

I am at a loss.
Ray St. Louis
Advisor

Prashant,

How do I check the IML? In regards to the event viewer, if you are refering to the Windows Event Viewer, I cannot access it because Windows doesn't even get that far. I wish it did, because I don't know what else to check.
George_141
Frequent Advisor

Hi Ray,

As external led glows for few seconds, problem suspection is realated to power in the server.
Because in normal, it don`t happen (external led will never glow for sec. )
Now you need to check on the motherboard that, any red or amber led is glowing or not.

Is there anything else which u have notice which is diffrent from earlier, then pls. let me know.

Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

External health (power supply) LED

Green Normal (system on)
Amber Redundant power supply failed
Red Critical power supply failure
Off Off = Normal (system off)

Check for same power supply.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Ray St. Louis
Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for your responses. I have redundant power supplies in which both LEDs for the two power supplies are green (all the fans are also green). The power cords are hooked up to an new APC SmartUPS 1000. I will boot up the server right now and look at the motherboard LEDs and get back to you.
George_141
Frequent Advisor

Ray,

Moreover, i like to know how many processor are insatalled in the server.
if there is only one, then you may remove both cpu and PPM ( processor power module )
and reinstall it again.

Regards,
George
Ray St. Louis
Advisor

I have two Xeon 3.2 GHz processors which the system identifies as working and they have both been tested. Do you think that the tests may be incorrect? I am using SmartStart 7.01.