108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML370 G3 powers down when booting up Windows 2K server

SOLVED
Go to solution
George_141
Frequent Advisor

Can you check the server with single cpu and ppm. If again the problem persist then check with other ppm and then other cpu.

Regards,
George
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

As suggested earlier also
External health (power supply) LED
Red Critical power supply failure
So, determine the hot-plug power supply status by noting the color of the power supply LED located adjacent to the AC inlet

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

Hi Ray,

Can you also confirm the server cannot even boot up in Safe Mode, please?

Gus
Learning never ends
Ray St. Louis
Advisor

Hi George,

Thanks. I removed the second processor and now I'm getting past the W2K server loading screen. I guess that the SmartStart tests are not very accurate. Is there anything else I should try? I would like to know if I can get the processor working or if it is screwed up?

I am going for lunch and I'll be back in about two hours.

Thanks
George_141
Frequent Advisor

Now it`s sure that there must be problem with processor or PPM.
And my suspected culprit is PPM only.
You need to check one by one and after go ahead replace the part.

Regards,
George

Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Good night take care.

Regards,
George/Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi Gus Kwong,

As per information i have if the internal/external health led is amber and server is not booting. then opening in same mode wont change much.

Take care.
Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Ray St. Louis
Advisor

Hi George & Prashant,

With the single processor, the system boots up into Windows just fine. I will test the second PPM first and see what happens. I will get back to you as soon as I complete the tests.

Regards,
Ray
Ray St. Louis
Advisor

Hi George & Prashant,

Here's my new problem...

The system works fine with either processor but doesn't work if BOTH processors are installed. First, I tried removing CPU2 & PPM2 and had success booting up. Second, I switched PPM1 with PPM2 and had success. Third, I replaced CPU1 with CPU2 and had successful bootup once again. Fourth, I installed the original CPU & PPM I removed and populated the second CPU socket with the CPU & PPM, but now I have the same original problem with the server health status light turning red and rebooting the server. Do you know of a solution as to how I can get that second CPU running?

Please advise.
Mike Ludwig
Frequent Advisor

I wouldn't be surprised if you have yor server abit overstuffed. We had power issues with the AP550 workstatons having under powered powersupplies. We found that with 1gig of memory and matrox g450 dual video card the powersupply would ocasionaly trip. Replaced the dual cards with single video cards to cut down the power draw. Just for grins try taking out maybe half your memory and if you didn't set up your 6 drives as 1 big raid take a couple of drives out and maybe unplug the the extra cooling fans (just the extra ones don't want a melt down :)or maybe the tapedrive.