Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML370 G3 server rebooting by itself

Michel Lachance
Occasional Contributor

ML370 G3 server rebooting by itself

I have two ML370 2.8Ghz servers with W2K, that
are frequently reboting by themselves, but at no specific time interval, or without any similar pattern.
The two servers are not at the same location, so i eliminated the possibility of being a power issue.
One of them, just have the os freshly installed (win2K), from this morning, so there isn't any applications installed yet.
The other one, has just been installed a week ago.
Both of them were built with the Smart Start CD v7.0. And on both of them, i installed the ROMPaq v4.0 (SP28215) (any relation there ?)

Is this problem a known issue ?
6 REPLIES
Nathan Gervais
Trusted Contributor

Re: ML370 G3 server rebooting by itself

When the server reboots is it giving a blue screen? If so what are the stop codes?

Do you have ASR enabled? Sometimes turning this off will allow the blue screen to stay up on the screen instead of the server automatically rebooting after 10 minutes

Does the IML (Integrated Management Log) have any information regarding what's happening here or even the event log?
Michel Lachance
Occasional Contributor

It is not giving a blue screen. The server is doing a complete restart by itself, and
comes back to the login screen, after the restart is completed. The IML doesn't report anything. But the only thing i've been able to see, is in the windows event log, where i get a message saying that the last shutdown was unexpected.
In one occasion, i have been able to see on the screen a windows message saying
"This system is shutting dows, etc... the shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM" and something saying that lsass.exe had terminated unexpectedly.

On the other server, the one i started to build today, i can't say if the same message is appearing. I haven't been in front of the screen at the exact moments it started.

Having read other messages in the forum, relating the same kind of problems, i think that unfortunately this seems to be a common issue with that model...
Nathan Gervais
Trusted Contributor

Seems to me like youve got W32.Sasser.Worm .. try doing a virus scan

Cheers
Nathan
Michel Lachance
Occasional Contributor

This was already checked.
On the first one (where i saw that message), i did a virus scan, and found nothing. All the required patches were installed.
On the other server, it did not even had a chance to be in contact with a virus. Beside the Smart Start Cd, and the Win2K Cd, the only other thing that was put in, was the ROMPaq, taken from HP support site (unless the rompaq would be infected itself...)
Nathan Gervais
Trusted Contributor

If you have the available time to test you might want to boot the server up into a smartstart cd and just leave it there to see if it will reboot. If it doesnt it sounds like there may be a problem with Windows.

You might also want to try updating to Proliant Support Pack 7.1
Duk H. Cho
Occasional Visitor

We've been suffering from the same problem on 2 of our 4 ML370 G3 that we purchased last August.
The problem has been resolved after HP Tech replaced back plane of the server.
Check with HP support to replace back plane of your server.