4454 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML370 G4 Configuration

snicholson
Occasional Contributor

ML370 G4 Configuration

All

I have recently purchased a rackmount ML370 G4 server PN 311134-xx1.

This server comes with the LSI53C1030 Ultra 320 controller. Is it possible to create a RAID Array with this controller? I have been unable to work this out so far.

Any help is appreciated

Regards
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I believe not. You would need to purchase a Smart Array Controller in order to create RAID Arrays. The U320 controller is a standard SCSI adaptor, allowing individual access to your drives.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
sgunelius
Trusted Contributor

As Steven Clementi stated, the dual-channel SCSI controller cannot be used for hardware-based RAID. I suppose you could use software-based RAID, but I've never seen that work well and you would establish a load on the CPU, Memory and OS to maintain the RAID.

You'd be better off purchasing a low-end U320 array controller like the SA-641 ($100-$300 from online retailers) and using that.

Scott
snicholson
Occasional Contributor

If I purchased that controller would that still connect to the drive bay backplane?

As you can see ... I am no hardware expert :D
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Yes. Sometimes it is just a pass through. That is, you connect the Smart Array to your existing SCSI adaptor.

Other times, you disconnect the cable from the SCSI adaptor (the one going to the drive bay backplane) and connect it directly to the Smart Array Controller.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)