1748223 Members
4597 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML370 G4 Fan Speeds

Nick Coraggio
Occasional Advisor

ML370 G4 Fan Speeds

I recently installed Server 2008 Standard x64 on an HP Proliant ML370 G4. I used Smart Start 8.3 for x64 and also upgraded all firmware with v8.6 of the firmware maintenance. When the server boots and goes through the initial startup, the fans are at a normal speed, barely audible. As soon as it gets to Server 2008 login screen, the fans start screaming and are very loud, and they never wind down. I have the HP systems manager installed and when I check the cooling system there, everything looks good and it says the Fan Speed is normal, but they aren't (at least I hope they aren't normal) (See attached)

Another thread was saying that maybe CPQHEALTH.exe might be the problem. I have checked the task manager and it is not running. If this is the problem, how do I get that running? It seems to be that it maybe a Windows problem since the fans don't spin up to high speed until it gets to Windows. Any suggestions?
12 REPLIES 12
Nick Coraggio
Occasional Advisor

Re: ML370 G4 Fan Speeds

**UPDATE**
Had another ML370 G4 laying around so I put the Controller Card and the Hard Drives in that server to see if it was hardware related. It wasn't, the new server booted to Server 08 and started screaming just like the other server. Leads me to believe it might be OS related.
Nick Coraggio
Occasional Advisor

I was curious and installed Server 2003 x64 on the Server using Smart Start 8.3 and when it booted to 2003, the fans were normal and didn't spin into hyperdrive.

So it looks to be a problem between the hardware and Server 2008 Standard x64. Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem?
Nick Coraggio
Occasional Advisor

I also tried Server 2008 32bit. This also spun the fans to high when Windows loaded. I did notice that when the OS was loading for the first time, the fans were at normal speeeds but then a command window popped up and was running C:\psp\hpsum.exe, and that's when the fans went to high. It rebooted and the fans still stay on high all the time.

Please help, I have no idea what it could be.
TarunJain
Respected Contributor

Hi Nick,
As you have already tried the Windows 2003 and didn't found the issue, I will suspect issue might be health agents.
They are part of PSP.
HPSUM.EXE is the script program to install components of PSP.
Have you tried different version of PSP?

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo
src="/html/assets/hpe_banner_SME_signature.p ng">

Nick Coraggio
Occasional Advisor

I downloaded version 8.30 for 2008 x64. I ran it and it saw some things that needed updating. I forced the install of all bundles, it installed and I was hopefull. After it restart though, nothing had changed. Is there some kind of info that I could post here to help out?
TarunJain
Respected Contributor

Hi Nick,
I don't think any log will help us here.
Just check if any event is recorded related to this.

I think issue should be with any of these two drivers:
1. HP Insight Management Agents for Windows Server 2003/2008 x64 Editions
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=397646&swItem=MTX-05a5c4494e4745aca8791967b6&prodNameId=3279717&swEnvOID=4024&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=5
2. HP ProLiant iLO Advanced and Enhanced System Management Controller Driver for Windows Server 2008 x64 Editions
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=397646&swItem=MTX-1b616f8b9ea54d4c80d9ef4a1a&prodNameId=3279717&swEnvOID=4024&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=5

If we go by previous revision history,The latest version should be available soon
That may have fix for this issue or you can try previous versions

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

JAFD

I try all of this threat, but my problem persist, the FANS SPEED turn HIGH, and not found the solution for Windows Server 2008 x64, any ideas or suggest?

BEST REGARDS
Nick Coraggio
Occasional Advisor

The way I got around this was to set up the array during start up. Then I installed Server 2008 without Smart Start. Then I installed the ACU and the PSP after Server 2008 was installed. I could not figure it out using smart start so I just didn't use it. I haven't had any problems since.
TarunJain
Respected Contributor

Hi Nick,
Thanks for providing the workaround

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo