New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML370 G4 - How to upgrade ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
evald
Occasional Contributor

ML370 G4 - How to upgrade ?

Hi !
i have this machine ML370 G4. I'm not sure if it has the raid controller. if it has it(and i think yes :D) what kind of raid it is ? i want to make a raid 1 !
is there a guide or tutorial that shows how to setup raid 1 ? also i need the drivers for the controller...
thank you.
6 REPLIES 6
Andrew Young_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi

Most ML370 G4's did not ship with a RAID controller, just a standard Ultra320 SCSI controller.

I will need to know the model number of the server to assist more.

Also what operating system is installed on it?

Regards

Andrew Y
Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If it does have a RAID controller, it will be a SmartArray controller of some form.

If you reboot the server you should get a prompt to get into the RAID configuration tool, normally hit F8. Setting things up should be straightforward.

You can find all the drivers you need by going to http://www.hp.com/go/support and searching for ML370 G4.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
evald
Occasional Contributor

@ Andrew Young:
i think you're right, it's just a scsi controller...but i'm not sure.
for the model number, i dont know where to find it. on the rear of the machine i see this numbers:

serial number: GB85148A4A
DNSNAME:ILOGGB85148A4A
PID:374489-421

the operating system installed on the machine is windows server 2003 (32 bit). i have also the 64 bit edition.

thank you

@ Rob Leadbeater:
i'll reboot later to make your test because now we are working with the server.
thank you.

Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Looking at the picture it doesn't appear that you have a RAID Controller.

Cheers,

Rob
Andrew Young_2
Honored Contributor

Hi.

I concur. That model was a bare bones system without drives or RAID controller preconfigured.

The only option available to you would be software RAID or to get an add on 64 series RAID card. Adding a RAID card will mean a re-install I suspect.

Regards

Andrew Y.
Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes
evald
Occasional Contributor

i dont want to spend more money on buying a raid controller. and it's true, installing a raid controller means that you have to re-install windows(with the drivers of the controller).
it's not a complicated task(i have some experinece with this), but it takes more time to set it up.
now the only way i can set up a raid system on this machine is doing that with the software way. windows server 2003 has a built-in "software controller" for raid systems, so i'm going to use it.
i know that the cpu will "work more" but the applications and tasks that this machine executes are not cpu expensive so i think it can handle the overhead of the raid system.

i have found this example
http://www.netadmintools.com/art439.html
and others too..

thanks to both of you.
Evald.