1753269 Members
5160 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML370 G4 server name

Jean-Pierre Radley
Occasional Advisor

ML370 G4 server name

I cannot find a way to assign a server name for iLO's purposes; I can change the iLO name itself, but not the server name, which keeps appearing as "host is unnamed".

I've looked at a few other threads in this Forum by searching on "server name", but they've not provided me with an answer.
3 REPLIES 3
chongkan
Trusted Contributor

Re: ML370 G4 server name

The iLO name is different from the server name, teh server name is the Windows DNS name while the iLO name is the card itself name.

The iLO name is to call the iLO of that server..

If this doesn't help you, please explain a little bit more.

Regards
Jean-Pierre Radley
Occasional Advisor

Well I didn't doubt that they were different.

And I'm not running Windows. I've assigned an IP to the iLO software. Are you suggesting that the "server name" is NOT recorded in iLO at all, but is solely the association of some string to that IP number in my DNS files?

If my server is down (the OS, which supplies DNS, is not running) then if I point a browser to the iLO IP from the outside in order to reboot the server, once again I should get "host is unnamed"?
SPa
Trusted Contributor

As mentioned in the ILO User Guide:

The Server Name field reports host is unnamed if the HP Management Agents are not loaded on the host server.

The Server Name field is communicated to iLO through the Insight Manager Agents. To change the Server Name field after a redeployment of a server, load the Insight Manager Agents to update the Server Name field with the new server name.

To remove the Server Name field after a redeployment of a server, use the Reset to Factory Defaults feature of the iLO RBSU utility to clear the Server Name field.
This procedure clears all iLO configuration information, not just the Server Name information.

The User Guide is available on the below link:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/CoreRedirect.jsp?redirectReason=DocIndexPDF&prodSeriesId=397989&targetPage=http%3A%2F%2Fh20000.www2.hp.com%2Fbc%2Fdocs%2Fsupport%2FUCR%2FSupportManual%2FTPM_238882-006%2FTPM_238882-006.pdf