ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753913 Members
9343 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML370 G5 SAS drive in single cage - Can we configure an Array with more than 4 drives?

vin reddy

ML370 G5 SAS drive in single cage - Can we configure an Array with more than 4 drives?

We have a ML370 G5
Single SAS drive cage - 2x36 5x72 drives
P600 Controller...using two internal channels

Configured 2x36 as the mirrored OS drives...OK

Want to configure 5x72 as a single RAID 5 array.

CANNOT DO..can only get 4 (bays 5-8)in RAID 5. The other 72GB drive can only go into bay 3 or 4 and cannot be added to the RAID 5 Array.

Is it possible to configure a RAID 5 array with all 5x72 drives with what I have?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: ML370 G5 SAS drive in single cage - Can we configure an Array with more than 4 drives?

hi vin

what do you mean by "can not be added to RAID 5"?

ACU is not letting you to add a 5├В┬░ HDD to that RAID? are you getting an error?

can you post a screen of the error or configuration?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
TarunJain
Respected Contributor

Dear Vin,

As per server configuration it is not possible to attach more than 4 hdd to a single channel.
There are two connectors on the Hard Drive backplane. One is for slot no. 1-4 & another for slot no. 5-8.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo
src="/html/assets/hpe_banner_SME_signature.p ng">

vin reddy

Hi Karlo,
what do you mean by "can not be added to RAID 5"?

It seems like the 8 bays are seen as two different sets of 4 bays and in ACU you cannot RAID together 1-4 drive with 5-8 drives.

ACU is not letting you to add a 5├Г ├В┬░ HDD to that RAID? are you getting an error?

There are no errors, the drive from the different set of 4 are simply not available to be aded to an Array.

Thanks
vin reddy

Hi TarunJain

So do you mean to confirm that with my current configuration I cannot create a RAID 5 array with more that 4 drives in it?

I could not find any docs on HPs site to support this. Do you see anything?

Thanks
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

it does not make any sense to me even if controller has 2 channels ACU must let you use all 8 HDDS from drive cage and create a RAID using all of them if you want or mixing channels

can you post a screen of ACU?

do you have cabling properly connected?
page 40
http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00710498/c00710498.pdf

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!