1752770 Members
4859 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML370 G5 "Total Memory" errors...

Ray St. Louis
Advisor

ML370 G5 "Total Memory" errors...

I just fired up a new HP ML370 G5 server. The POST recognizes that I have 6 GB of RAM (DDR2 - FBD) and all other POST messages are good; however, when I run SmartStart 7.8 and run the server diagnostics, I get memory errors. Everything else is 100% good to go. (I have not yet installed an OS but plan on installing Win2003)

I get the following memory errors (failed status):
Total Memory - Address Test (Error: 020471)
Total Memory - Read Test (Error: 023071)
Total Memory - March Test (Error: 023271)
Total Memory - Noise Test (Error: 021471)
Total Memory - Walk Test (Error: 020571)

I have tried with only 2 GB RAM installed, tried the different pairs separately (yes, the correctly matched pairs), I tried using the different memory board. Everything I have tried resulted in the same way.

Any help or advice would be very appreciated. I am suppose to deploy this sucker on Friday.
10 REPLIES 10
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Ray,
All DIMM combinations giving the exact same results sounds "fake reports" to me.
What is the BIOS revision ? Try booting the server from the firmware maintenance cd 8.10 & update the firmware for the entire server. Lets see if that makes any difference.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121474&prodNameId=3279719&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-2c5987b8362348dbb3e80d277b

Regards,
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi Ray

besides james' advice

I recommend you use smartstart Cd 8.0 (SSCD)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121474&prodNameId=3279719&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-8324160be431440195dca1d613&mode=3

to be completely sure about those errors

Every time a new SSCD is released previous bugs are repaired

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Ray St. Louis
Advisor

Thanks for the advice! I will try the 8.0 version of smartstart and report the results. I will then try the firmware and also post my results.

Thanks again.
Ray St. Louis
Advisor

Okay, while I was downloading SmartStart 8, I tried using version 7.91 I grabbed last night. It runs great and reports the previous errors are 100% passed!

While this may be good news, I repopulated the memory board with the full 6GB. Once I did that, I am now looking at the server (booted with SS7.91) and the following LEDS are lit up:

On the front panel, the "Internal System Health" LED is flashing amber. When I pull this out to expose the system insight display, the same LED is flashing and in the "FBDIMM" LEDs, I have number 3C solid amber.

Could this actually be a bad stick of RAM?
Ray St. Louis
Advisor

I have just finished running SmartStart 8.0 and the Server Diagnostic report for Total memory is 100% passed again. I still have the amber LED on 3C.

Do you recommend I use the firmware anyway or consider the specific RAM module to be a dud? If this is the case, the does anyone know how I can have this replaced (warranty).

Please advise and thanks again for all your help.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello,
Since the Diags is 100% success; I would recommend clearing the NVRAM using the system maintenance switch & check is the amber led goes out.

Regards,
Ray St. Louis
Advisor

How do I clear NVRAM and where's this maintenance switch? I have the User Guide and there's no mention of any of this. Help!

Thanks.
Gary Antonio Benavides
Trusted Contributor

check on page 85

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00710498/c00710498.pdf

You need to set the switch number 6 to the on Postion and boot the server. Then restart the server and set the switch back to the off position.
If it's not fun, you're not doing it right
Ray St. Louis
Advisor

What are the risks, if any, by me doing this? It's just that I plan on deploying this soon. Server setup time is imminent.

Please advise. Thanks for everyone's help with this.